Red Bank redux version 2.0 [NJ]

Justin and I went to The Globe for the first time since before COVID. Actually, we were here the night before New Jersey shut down in March 2020. It was good to be back! If you remember, we used to come here weekly. A lively and much-missed atmosphere tonight due to the football game. So many memories here over the years and this visit was long overdue.

He had a pitcher of Budweiser (ambitious yes, but he did not finish!) while I had a Stoli martini that @NotJrvedivici would go crazy for, where I could not detect a trace of vermouth. Our waiter/bartender poured it out of the shaker at the table each time-- I had two for those counting!

For food, Justin had the healthy combo of sweet Thai chili wings with spiral fries while I had a Cajun chicken sandwich. All adequate.

7 Likes

Globe has always been a solid place for burgers and wings etc. We use to go there when I had a company softball team, there and the old what’s now River Rock. (Name escapes me)

I’m giving Eli’s Backyard a try this weekend, will report back my findings!

Have a good weekend peeps!!

7 Likes

Brannigans

2 Likes

This could be interesting (if they can get staff that is…)

1 Like

Today Justin and I walked into Ce La Vie in Red Bank for lunch after realizing our first choice of eatery was closed. We were immediately lunged on by an angry hostess who didn’t even wait for us to be fully inside the restaurant before saying, “I only have outdoor seating since we are setting up for a party and that’s going to be at least a 20 minute wait. Up to you if you want to wait.” I appreciated the honesty but the “Up to you” part rubbed me the wrong way. We walked back outside to talk it over and then figured why not, we would wait. It was a beautiful day.

So Justin goes back inside to say we would wait and she says, “Well, I can give you a table inside but how long are you two going to be? If you can make it quick you can have an inside table.”

Thankfully he nixed that and said no thanks and we left. How long are we going to be? Make it quick? Seriously? We weren’t planning on a long, leisurely experience but also did not want a rush job. The overall attitude of this individual was appalling, and even more so to me since I’ve been working in the restaurant industry the last several months. Obviously someone who does not care about their job or if their restaurant loses business. I know restaurant workers are fed up with the public (I’m one of them some days!) but there was no need for that. We spent our money elsewhere.

4 Likes

Saw this and thought it was interesting. Not a fan of this spot, but hate to see anyone possibly losing a job

That being said, it does raise an interesting point about spots unlucky enough to be outside the “broad walk” zone.

5 Likes

Ha! I just posted this too! Didn’t see your update.

1 Like

Lol great minds. I won’t miss it as I had possibly worst meal ever locally there. Like shockingly bad.
I’m interested in larger issue of broadwalk creating winners and losers though, feel like that’s one that should be visited by local officials.

1 Like

I had an interesting offer today. The owner of Elli’s Backyard is interested in renting out his kitchen on Mondays.

I wasn’t interested, but I thought that maybe somebody on the board might be.

1 Like

Not too familiar with their concept but sounds interesting. Ghost Kitchen Monday. Eh. Really sounds like more trouble than it is worth but interesting.
Now if it was M-F Lunch and Mon night that would be more enticing. Always enjoy hearing about business owners who are willing to have a shared retail/business.
Maybe I can bring The Burrito Boat to life. A combination of fish and chips with California mission style burrito. Maybe not…

6 Likes

Went to Zaitooni’s today. They’re open, but with a limited menu; I get the impression it varies unpredictably from day to day. Prices are also up; platters are $15. Okay, but we can get similar food closer to home at Evan’s and Sahara 34.

One thing I’ll say for them: the restaurant was nice and warm. With the temperature outside about 20F, that was definitely welcome!

2 Likes

Cpl new spots in RB. I’m guessing that means the end of boondocks 2nd location at the old chowda house. Had a truly not good meal there last year. Prob my last experience with that establishment.

Good luck to both spots

2 Likes

Forgot to mention that when I congratulated the owner(?) on his use of cardboard containers instead of Styrofoam, he said that Styrofoam was now banned in Red Bank restaurants. Three cheers for Red Bank! (All of NJ follows later this year, I think.)

3 Likes

Shame really liked this place

5 Likes

Saw this and was bummed. Was looking fwd to this spot. Have never actually been, but they got a lot of love

I used to go to their family restaurant in SI back in the 90s before the kids blew up.

Have you tried Basilles in Middletown? I don’t know all the ins and outs but the same family from what I understand. I like their square slices. Only had the artichoke once and while it was tasty…it was a lot.

They recently changed their name to Pizza King, I have no idea what is up with that.

I tried it a cpl years ago, got cpl pizzas that were undercooked and have not been back. I really should try again. Lot of good options in that plaza too

I’m surprised Teak does not have its own thread, but since we just did drinks and apps, I’ll post it here.

Normally, we treat going out to dinner on Valentine’s Day the same as New Year’s Eve: we don’t. I’ve always felt this way due to the special menus, crowds, craziness, etc, and thankfully Justin agrees. But early drinks and apps before grazing some more at home is just fine.

So, appetizers and drinks at Teak. Loved the vibes at the upstairs bar which was more of a club-like setting (admittedly not my scene, but it worked). For drinks, I had a Lychee Martini with Ketel One and BF had Sapporo. We shared crispy Brussels Sprouts with a soy sesame glaze and orange slices, and a Black Mamba Roll which had shrimp tempura, lobster, and banana-- a most interesting addition that somehow brought it all together.

Would probably go back for meals. I’ve read either on here or somewhere else that the upstairs turns into more of a nightclub than a restaurant later on, which was evidence by the set-up (elevated DJ booth, the lighting, disco ball, etc). It was funny to note that when we walked in, the entrance being by the downstairs bar, I noticed that the bar was only about half full but that it was a much older crowd. The hostess asked if we had a reservation and I said we just wanted to sit at the bar. As we started walking towards it, she motioned, “We also have another bar upstairs.” It was the way she said it-- kind of like, you should try that one instead. So up we went. Lots of stairs. Boom: there was the younger crowd. Not that it would have matter. We had a great experience either way.

5 Likes

I’ve only been to Teak a few times before shows at the Basie, so I had no idea that there was an upstairs bar! Good to know! That said, I believe I’ve had that lychee martini as well as the brussels sprouts, and both were very tasty. Their happy hour is great but it’s always insanely packed in there. I wonder if the upstairs is always open or if they only did it for the day.

1 Like

The Lychee martini was good. I’m not a big sweet drinks guy, but I wanted something different. One was enough-- did a vodka on the rocks after that, and it was a nice sized pour. I don’t know if it was opened just because of the occasion but I got the impression that it is always open. Could be wrong though. There is a large rooftop area too that is open in the summer. It was pretty packed when we got there at 6 (which is very early for us LOL). I like that they did not have a special/limited menu (but nor was there a Happy Hour).

1 Like