Recs for induction burner?

We need to get an induction burner for an upcoming kitchen demolition. Will prob make use of the burner after the kitchen is done so would like a solid appliance. Do you have one, what are the pros and cons of the model you have? Thanks for any opinions.

I just bought one after reading a lot of reviews. Not surprisingly these things are apparently as crappily made as major appliances are. I ended up with this, delivered yesterday, will let you know once I open it up and try it: http://smile.amazon.com/KitchenPRO-Portable-Multifunction-Induction-Countertop/dp/B00XZL4J4Y?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

Always a crap shoot.

I bought a previous model of this Rosewill induction cooker a few years back for the office and have had no problems with it at all. At home I recently got a Paragon Induction Cooktop, it’s quite a bit more expensive ($299) but seems to be very well built and the wireless temperature probe adds a lot of functionality (deep frying, poaching, sous vide).

Hi Elsieb,

I’ve bought four–2 Vollrath (Mirage Cadet and Mirage Pro) for myself, and 2 Max Burtons for others. The Vollraths are commercial quality, about $250 for the Cadet, and $450 for the Pro. I have done all my stovetop work with them for 2 years, and they outperform everything I’ve ever used before–exquisite control of temperature. The Pro has 100 different settings. The Max Burtons are great, but lack the fine control of the Vollraths. Quite a variety of models. Home units cost closer to $100.

The quality of all four units was high–especially the Vollraths (individually tested here in the USA).

Induction has completely changed my cooking experience–in a good way.

I do recall the Cadet (too expensive for my temporary remodel use) was very well reviewed in my searches.

In this case, Ray is right: Invest the $450 on the Vollrath Mirage Pro.

The 100 settings are top-of-class. The build quality is good (fans, sensors, case, controls), and the internal switching is superior to other brands I’ve investigated.

The only downside to this unit is that Vollrath’s warranty excepts home use–supposedly this is “commercial only”. So you need to either take your chance that there won’t be any problems, OR you need to pretend you have it in commercial service, i.e., fib if you make a claim.

Aloha,
Kaleo

I just unpacked and used the comparatively very cheap induction cooktop I bought. I tried it out on a Chantal enameled steel tea kettle with a few cups of water. It was very fast coming to the boil on the “water” setting. Great, intuitive, graphic controls, good performance, and a good size for even large skillets.

Why induction? Why not get a good quality butane catering burner? During your kitchen demolition you’ll have more location flexibility by not having to plug in anywhere and afterward you can move it around easily where you need it without worrying about overloading electrical circuits.

I didn’t want to have to worry about keeping fuel on hand, and I wanted it to be easily kept spotlessly clean.

1 Like

The Duxtop 1800 watt model 8300-ST has performed well. I would buy it again if I needed another one.

given all the konvert hype on induction, I positively had to giggle over this from Cooks Illustrated:

/quote
This top-performing burner boasts user-friendly push-button controls and
a large cooking surface that heated pans evenly. It boiled water nearly
as fast as a gas range.
/unquote

and there goes the neighborhood.

Thank you all for opinions and info. Sorry (but glad) to hear re warrantee on the mirage pro - hate stickiness like that, it wd be me (a poor fib/spinner) that had the rare problem:) Think I’m leaning toward a max burton or duxtop. Do the home models plug into a regular outlet or are any special electrics required? - old house/old wiring.

Fine for you, but what about the OP Elsieb?

Keeping a gas burner clean is easy, and cleaning up after a boilover is often easier on metal than on even a smooth glass cooktop. If you can keep gas in your car you can keep butane in your pantry.

Hi Elsieb,

Good choices

Both the Duxtop and Max Burton plug into regular outlets. The Duxtop 9100MC is featured at Amazon for a very attractive price:

The Max Burton 6400 is widely available (see evaluation):

http://theinductionsite.com/induction-makers/maxburton-induction-hobs.php

available at Amazon, but at much lower prices elsewhere

Hi Elsieb, Since it won’t be your permanent, main burner, don’t spend too much on it. Thus I would recommend this Duxtop: https://www.centurylife.org/product-review-secura-duxtop-9100mc-portable-induction-cooker-aka-countertop-burner/

I’ve used a ton of induction cookers so if you have any specific questions let me know.

I can see it now:

Auspicious, with butane unit in one hand, igniter in the other–pot straight ahead, filled to the brim.
drrayeye, with Vollrath Pro already underneath matched pot, filled to the brim, power on, knob turned to zero

Elsieb, stopwatch in hand, clicking and shouting “go!”

She watches those tiny bubbles start to form, holding out for the big ones erupting in succession.

She clicks the stopwatch again: “3 minutes and 4 seconds, the winner is . . .”

No, ZwiebelHash,

It’s not about speed–it’s about control–and a good induction unit will provide better control.

With induction, we’ve got better control: we pass gas (when we choose)

Ray

Actually, Ray, an infinitely-variable (i.e., manual) gas valve will offer more control than even the discrete 100-setting Mirage Pro. And speed boiling tests are pretty meaningless.

Where the latter shines is that the settings are repeatable, i.e., 37 is always 37. Whereas the gas valve may allow 37.127, but good luck setting it the same way twice.

Aloh,
Kaleo

That was the other one I considered. Can’t recall why I bought the one I got instead, but I think there were issues with other parts of the Duxtop overheating to the touch in some reviews, even favorable ones. Still a good buy, though.

Everything I’ve posted has been about the OP’s question, and she specified that she wanted an induction burner. I think it’s nice of you to champion the poor, unconsidered butane burner, maybe another thread will come up with someone asking for advice about those some time. :wink:

I see your point, Kaleo,

and I suppose we could further explore what “control” really requires or allows in terms of both power and temperature settings, digital vs. analog–but I’m mostly just trying to have fun on this thread without getting too outrageous.

Ray