Recommended Desserts Toronto & GTA

Tried more natas today as they opened up nearby. Pricey at 5$ a pop (some promos as well with drinks and no tax with 6 +)
Decent but not worth a detour. I would say better than nandos which isn’t saying much

2 Likes

Nan’s butter tart with raisins at Bad Attitude on Dundas W. It’s plant-based. $5 before tax.

Different than a traditional butter tart. This was very short in height, with a tasty, flakey, short crust and delicious filling that was slightly crystallized, so it was both gooey and crunchy.

Nan’s butter tart ($5) and an apple hand pie / turnover ($6) came to $12.43 after tax.

It’s on the pricey side.

2 Likes

Tried Eugénie at Laduree oh boy very pricey for what it is. This was in store so didn’t have shell out for a 6 pack

3 Likes

Today I ordered the following
Pistachio , lavender and carrot cake
I enjoy their pistachio so always a decent buy imo carrot cake was my first time trying it and enjoyed it.
Lavender and blueberries hmmm not my choice but let’s just say it doesn’t taste like soap :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Back in Toronto for a few days ( city place again) and looking forward to hitting some nice bakeries again!

1 Like

Picked up a condensed milk croissant from La La bakeshop at bloor Spadina area. Interesting I guess and better than I expected. Some taste profiles might be appealing to some as the place was busy

2 Likes

Two new items were added to the Laduree repertoire so had to order them
Honey Almond Religieuse
And
Caramel eclair

3 Likes

Circles & Squares opened a second location at Yonge and Davisville, grabbed an assortment of butter tarts ,2 traditional, 2 butter pecan and I thought I ordered 2 Snickers but only got one.
Had one of the pecan ones with a cuppa, very good. $21 for the 5(or 6?) . Will be back.

3 Likes

Enjoyed the chocolate cake and maritozzo (pastry cream-filled bun) from Coco’s Coffee Shop in Little Italy today.

Brodflour is no longer supplying the Annex Espresso Bar on Bathurst. Circle & Squares now supplies butter tarts to the Annex Espresso Bar.

3 Likes

I’ve been going to Circles and Squares near Victoria Park and Eglinton for quite a while. Not at all surprised that they’ve expanded. I have enjoyed every morsel from sweets to sandwiches. I think they’ll fit in quite nicely with their new neighbours.

1 Like

I have loved the grapefruit givré for years. Even though it looks like Donald Trump!

2 Likes

Really good tarts, maybe a little too good for my own good :smiley:

1 Like

Welcome aboard Fwagra.

1 Like

Thank you, Googs. I can’t tell you how nice it is to see some familiar tags here, from the old C-H days.

2 Likes

Another delicious pastry from Circles & Squares, apple/caramel/almond croissant .A bit spendy but delicious. This place will be the death of me :confused:

2 Likes

Worth it!

1 Like

absolutely! :smiley:

1 Like

I went on a bakery crawl today with a friend I met through Chowhound in 2007!
We stopped by a dozen establishments.
The highlights were
Robinson Bread (pear almond speculoos tart, plum cake, sesame chocolate fig cookie, pb cookie)

Forno Cultura (brioche twist and chocolate iced citrus cake), Dear Grain (chocolate brioche bun and a coffee-flavoured Bundt slice)

and Butter and Spice today (chocolate PB cookie not pictured)

3 Likes

Apple Fritter at Dipped in Kensington . ($5.50 I think. It’s huge) . Brown butter sea salt donut was a little to heavy handed with the salt for me.

Nice caramel corn at Emmer this week. Dangerous to have in the car while stuck on the Gardiner. I ate the whole bag.

2 Likes

Every soft serve at Bernhardts has been great. Tonight’s was no exception: cranberry sorbet and spiced (cinnamon and nutmeg) vanilla ice cream swirled, with maple candied orange peel and maple oat crumble.

3 Likes