Recommended Desserts Toronto & GTA

I ended up trying both versions of Paris Brest from Le genie.
Very good and had put the promo to good use.

4 Likes

I prefer Chocolate Santafereno. Because chocolate is my favourite.

Tried L’Avenue Boulangerie today. Hmm despite excellent service not worth the trek imo

3 Likes

Spring weather means lines at Emmer on Sundays . I will start visiting on Thu and Fri :joy:

Decent Kouign Amann from Noctua in the Junction, although I think I am finally finished chasing the Kouign Amann dragon I’ve been chasing since Aug 2008. I liked the Karma cookie. I am less interested in KA than I once was.

2 Likes

2 weeks in a row, I’ve kept walking because the line at Emmer was insane. People wanted Emmer’s Hot Cross Buns, I guess.

Today’s line at 10:08 am. The rest of Harbord Street was empty.

4 people inside the new Glory Hole Donut location on Harbord, when I peeked inside.

Harbord House Pub was open for brunch, barely anyone there. Kensington Market was empty.

2 Likes

Le genie again for a birthday spread all the items were quite good

3 Likes

" Rahier Patisserie, Bayview Ave., " - After 2+ decades, still one of my top 2 or 3 favorite French Patisseries in town.

Whilst living and working in Paris, I had the good fortune of coming across a gorgeous tasting Apple Tarte - ‘Tarte Normande’. For two years, I was hooked to this simple yet stunning and tasty dessert… consuming almost one a day after work.

Upon my return to Canada, every effort to locate such a product was futile until I came across Rahier’s ‘close resemblance’ creation - " Tarte Bretonne ". In the past, this ‘shortbread crust tart, topped with baked chopped Apples, cookie Cremeux, Almond Praline and toasted Almond slivers’, though less refined, buttery and delicate than the Parisian version was good enough to satisfy my occasional sweet-tooth fix. Sadly, for the past three years, due to Covid, I have not paid Rahier a single visit 😢 until today.

This morning, braving torrential rain, terrible driving condition and parking space shortage, I drove all the way down from Richmond Hill to Bayview and Eglinton to pick up my special order of the Apple tarts and then some…a couple of chocolate based desserts - ‘Foret Noire’ ( 3 layers of dark chocolate sponge, dark chocolate mousse, whipped cream and wrapped with milk chocolate ) and ‘Dumas’ ( Hazelnut mousseline, dark chocolate mousse, Hazelnut dacquoise and chocolate cake ).

Glad to report, the quality was as good as before, though like most retail products, prices have gone up due to inflation.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing Charles that’s some dedication. I depended a lot on Rahier when I moved to Canada 2 decades ago. Their was dearth of good dessert spots which has thankfully changed for a lot better. Rahier visits for me a few and far between now as well, one can even pick up their mainstream offerings at various spots (Pustari’s, City Market to name a few). Good to hear you enjoyed your picks.

3 Likes

I was trying to decide where to order a special cake, and I think it will be Rahier. :blush:

2 Likes

Futura Granita & Gelato on St Clair W near Oakwood is open again!

I picked up a pint of coffee toffee gelato.

2 Likes

It’s too bad Rahier didn’t think to put a list of retailers on their website. Such a simple thing to do.

2 Likes

Tried creamary x via delivery app after recommendations from friends. Decent base imo though I didn’t like the idea that big chunks of the crust were blended in. Hmm will try other flavors. The Ontario strawberries went well with the ice cream though

3 Likes

Nice Fraisier from Thobors on Eglinton W. Thobors on Eglinton W also serves brunch now!
I also picked up madeleines.

4 Likes

“Thorbors”! Wow! I haven’t heard that name for years! In the past they used to rub shoulders with Rahier!..some partnership split up that created the rivalry?

I have no idea! Marc Thobor purchased Comptoir de Celestin in 2006, then renamed it Thobors, so the Rahier years must have been before 2006!

The reason I went with Thobors instead of Rahier is that I wanted Fraisier, or something strawberry.

The current seasonal cakes at Rahier weren’t floating my boat. I have Delysees, Nadege and Emmer within walking distance of my apartment, so most of my cakes and tartes come from those 3 the rest of the year.

A lot of newer or smaller French patisseries seemed more focused on Viennoiseries and individual mousse cakes, rather than larger custom order cakes with fresh fruit!

Here are some other goods at Thobors, at the Eglinton W location very close to the Allen. The parking meter closest to the location holds on tight to credit cards so use coins or the GreenP app to pay for your spot. I did manage to get my credit card out of the machine, but the employee from the chicken / poutine shop came outside to tell me I wouldn’t be getting my credit card back! (I did try it back, tweezers would have helped but I got it out with my fingers!)

1 Like

That’s just not right. I have a Tim Hortons. Bleh.

2 Likes

I drove that Fraisier 200 km, which took 3 hours, to enjoy it with family last night!

The refrigerated Dufflets and LaRocca at Metro and Remark Market (outside the GTA) beat Tim’s, but they cost a lot more! :joy: We have been trying all the Dufflets sold in London, and also liked the La Rocca Jamocha Almond Fudge layer cake recently. What is interesting to me, is that I’m paying $18 for a Dufflets cakelet, $32 for a small Dufflets Black Forest Cake at Remark in London, around $38 for a LaRocca Jamocha Almond Fudge cake at Remark in London, and Thobors in Toronto is charging $50 for a custom order Fraisier for 8 people.

I don’t know how much baguettes cost elsewhere these days. Thobors baguette cost $3. Less than a butter tart or Nanaimo bar at a coffee shop.

2 Likes

Lucky family!

1 Like

What is the best gluten-free dessert I can buy in Toronto, to take to a friend?

Phoenika, you should try Euphoria on Dupont, just east of Spadina. I bought a black forest cake for my sister-in-law about a year ago, and she said it was the best BF cake she’s ever had. There is almost always a crowd in there. Their stuff looks beautiful!

2 Likes