Recommended Desserts Toronto & GTA

Picked up some items from Castle and Coal feedback to follow after I have tried a few items

3 Likes

Kitten and the Bear Pre-order Cookie Box ($56 iirc)

3 Likes

Castle and Coal’s Sticky Toffee Pudding is excellent. Their canele’s are also very good!

Agree with Charles the Claire from Duo is phenomenal. Their Croissants are excellent; beautiful butter flavour, nice crumb and flake.

2 Likes

Coco’s Coffee Shop on College St has a great Cookie Box right now. They sell out fast. So far, I’ve tried the Imperial/ Diplomat / Empire biscuit ( with the icing and cherry) and the oatmeal crystallized ginger cookie. They are also selling Cassata and Princess Cake.

2 Likes

Tried O’de’ Lyon (cronut) today from Nord Lyon
Was better than I expected as didn’t quite enjoy their other stuff I recall from previous delivery

2 Likes
1 Like

Circles & Squares cinnamon bun, $5 only available on weekends. Really good.

3 Likes

St honore pistachio from Laduree oh boy it hits the desert spot Everytime

3 Likes

With the accolades here & elsewhere, I took a detour last Fall to Circle & Square after driving my wife to cancer charity event. It was around 7 am when they opened. I was 2nd in line and everything seemed fresh.

I asked the salesperson what should I order, what is your specialty, your best? She pointed to their “award winning” butter tarts. So I ordered 2 to go.

One was named after a chocolate bar, I recall either Mars or Snickers. First thought was these were big and heavy tarts, like if I threw it, it could hurt someone! The texture was gooey (good) but flowing too much on the liquid side (not good) almost like maple syrup. Trying to pick one up and eat made a mess as the the liquid filling immediately flowed onto my hands upon first bite. But what was even more noticeable was it was SUPER sweet! Short of eating pure sugar, I don’t ever recall anything sweeter!

The 2nd was the normal pecan butter tart which apparently won the award. This one wasn’t as sweet but just as large. The thing with it being large is that when you’re biting at the middle, all you’re really eating is the filling. The texture was also less liquidy which was good.

Overall, I’ve had better. Maybe I caught them on a bad day but I wouldn’t know because I haven’t been back since.

2 Likes

I think the pecan butter tart from Annex Espresso Bar is from Circle and Squares. The butter tarts ($5) at Krave Espresso on St Clair W are from Circle and Squares. I understand Circle and Squares are telling all the coffee shops who stock their tarts, that their butter tarts are the best in Ontario or Canada. :rofl: Hard sell from the barista. I told him maybe best in Toronto right now. Maid’s Cottage used to tell the coffee shops they supplied that they had the best butter tarts in Toronto.

They’re good tarts, but so are BaNoi, Andrea’s, Gerrard Street, Dough’s, etc. Of course, rural butter tarts in Grey County, and in Muskoka, and in Orangeville, and elsewhere in Ontario, are great, too.

I tried the pecan butter tart from Annex Espresso Bar yesterday. It’s fine. I like BaNoi and Maid’s Cottage butter tarts more.

Better pastry and filling at BaNoi. BaNoi’s tart is maybe a little closer to a salted caramel taste than Grandma’s butter tart would have been.

I don’t know where or when the clumsy thick-crusted quarter pound butter tart trend began. I like my butter tarts to be smaller with a delicate flakey crust.

I found the crust too heavy and thick in this pecan butter tart, which I believe is sourced from Circle and Squares.

The mocha square from Annex Espresso Bar was right up my alley.

2 Likes

Name one thing I haven’t had at Circle & Squares. Butter tarts. I guess that’s why I like it so much.

1 Like

Last night was an impromptu visit to Cafe Boulud impressed the guests with
Grapefruit Givre and the souffle while the pecan was impressive to look at I think the other two are better

4 Likes

Ah!!! GG! My favorite!!..now, you just turned on my sweet tooth!! :yum: :kissing_heart: :heart: :ok_hand: :+1:

2 Likes

If you’re ambitious, I found a recipe for the givré:

1 Like

Picked up some rhubarb specific desserts from Castle and coal. Friend is a fan of rhubarb desserts will report back after trying

2 Likes

Technically a brunch spot. Tried the pancakes at Pasaj today. Decent and dense though reminded me a lot of fuwa fuwa style. Place is very loud

3 Likes

Finally made it to the new location of Bakerbots as was having a meal nearby. Don’t venture into this area much but this spot might change that. Had a scoop of burnt toffee. Didn’t indulge in other items.
Also delivery from Laduree during the week for a get together kudos to the downtown location team for remembering a mess up from a prior delivery and making up for it.

3 Likes

Adding today’s haul from Castle and coal (rhubarb pana cota, forced rhubarb kougin amman and savory biscuit)
I also tried the key lime with creme brulee to order on site that went well

2 Likes

Btw Amadeus opening up in Yorkville at spot where calii love used to be. Walked by recently and saw the signs. Bomou also opened up in Rosedale

2 Likes