Recommendation for a Deba knife?

Hi all. Thinking about getting a Deba knife.

Like to hear your thought about the size, the steel, the profile, the maker/brand…etc. Let me know your thought and share your opinion. Thanks.

1 Like

You are far better equipped than I to address metallurgy. However, my thoughts on debas are that for traditional deba uses like breaking down good sized fish a blade length equivalent to six to eight inches is stout enough for the work and long enough to be efficient. I would think eight would be the sweet spot. A fairly tall and hefty blade would also be my preference. Obviously a single edge. Let us know where you land and how you like it (you always do).

1 Like

Thanks

Hi chem, wow, nice getting a deba! :slight_smile:

That said, I actually sold mine last year. I had a very nice Masamoto KS 180mm - but I just didn’t use it enough. For smaller fish I would find the length too long, so I would then use a 165mm petty knife. And then of course with a medium thickness Chinese cleaver breaking down fish is very easy.

But I have been through the buying process. So, my first tip would be to get a smaller size one, say 165mm. With a small deba you can still break down larger fish, but a big deba is just not practical for smaller fish, like a normal size red mullet. Be aware that the steel is very thick, so you cannot easily compare it with a similar size petty eg. The 180mm feels massive in your hand.

Second tip, I’d perhaps look at the Fu Rin Ka Zan from JCK. Apparently they are being made by a famous knife smith but then white labeled. Rumour says Sukenari (on kkf). But not sure what your budget is, so this is a wild guess. But it ticks all the boxes I had when buying the Masamoto, but then cheaper. This one is even blue steel, and also made by a reputable company. The owner at JCK, Koki, tried to convince me getting this one, but I went for the Masamoto name brand instead. He is always very honest and helpful.

What are you planning to use it for? Only fish?

1 Like

Great explanation. I stand educated (having just cored a small Campari tomato with a ten inch chef’s knife!).

1 Like

Thanks for your feedbacks. I was just looking at Japanesechefknife yesterday and was thinking about this. It is also under Fu Ra Ka Zan

Your suggested deba looks great and still within my budget.
Yes. Only thinking about fishes.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t get an oval/ rounded Handle.
When you are butchering you do not what a Handle that slips around in your Hand.

2 Likes

Thanks . That is a good suggestion.
I was using a usuba to filet fish last night. It worked with some small challenges, but the edge is now all microchipped. It is fine if I want to keep it as a fish knife, but this is probably not the best to switch back and forth to be a vegetable knife too.

1 Like

I think this the main reason for spending a bit more and buy a deba with a good quality steel. The steel needs to be able to take a beating, and still stay sharp. I have a feeling that, more than other J knives, it pays to spend a bit more on a deba to get quality.

Why not use the CCK for fileting instead of the usuba?

1 Like

Yes, as Damiano said other styles of Japanese Knives are not made to cut through Bones, even Fish Bones.

1 Like

I was thinking about testing something. I have a classic fish filet knife, a honseki…etc. I just wanted to test what it feels like to “glide” the single bevel knife flat across the fish rib feels like.

1 Like

Noted. I will resharpen the usuba.

I absolutely agree you want a firm and stable grip for that sort of work, but I always found the D shaped Wa handles with five or six sides, albeit with smoothed edges, quite solid to grip.

1 Like

Yes, that makes sense. By the way, it feels great gliding a single bevel knife and cutting the fish… Makes me want to buy a deba again lol! :slight_smile:

Good point about the handle. My Masamoto had a octagonal handle, they work great, lots of grip. But extra cost, I believe 40 euro extra.

1 Like

I always liked this video of chefs using a deba. This guy where the video starts below uses what I think is just a 195mm size, or maybe a 210mm. That will give you a general idea as to how big these are compared to one’s expectations.

2 Likes

Thanks. Yeah, I wanted to test drive that “gliding along the fish rib bone with a single bevel knife” and it does feel very good – even with a usuba.
Yes, a 210 mm deba may not sound long, but it will be heavy. A large deba is probably very good at the larger tougher work, but difficult at detail works. I believe 165 mm (6.5 inch-ish) is the normal size for a deba, and some people bump their up to 180 mm.

1 Like