Reasons for buying stuff

The thread on thrifting kitchen tools is fun. Many nifty items have been snagged at very good prices. However, it got me to pondering why people buy some things, especially some of the more unusual or quirky items. I can certainly see snapping up good deals on really useful items you actually need like knives or saucepans. Although it is not my thing, I can also see how collectors would enjoy finding things like vintage Corning Ware or vintage copper. Some of the purchases make me shake my head, however, wondering if the buyer will add some esoteric specialty dish made with an odd tool to their repertoire or if it will get used once, or not at all, and languish in the darkness of storage. I can see, and am guilty of, buying an item to upgrade, letting the replaced item move on. I can see jumping on a really good deal to try a new type of cooking or cuisine I know I like. Why do you thrift? On balance, do you end up happy long term with your purchases, or do they mount up until you declutter? Do you find yourself in need of more and more storage space, or does your kitchen stay pretty adequate and orderly?

2 Likes

Is “because I want it” too simplistic an answer? My kitchen is orderly, and I also have too much stuff. There are some things that didn’t pan out, like the chinoise, which I almost never use.

5 Likes

Sometimes older/vintage items are better quality or nicer looking. Or it’s something I think I might like, but I’m not willing to pay full price for it. Some things end up as “kitchen decor” because I don’t like to hide nice pots and pans in cabinets.
I try not to buy what I don’t think I’ll use, but occasionally an item is so nice that it comes home with me. I dislike clutter so I will purge and donate every so often.

4 Likes

I like Whoopie pies, so early on in our relationship my wife gave me a baking pan that makes large (i.e., layer-cake size) Whoopie pie cookies. I’d never expressed a desire to actually make these, though. I used the pan once, found it to be more trouble than its worth, and the pan has languished in the kitchen ever since because you can’t give away something that your spouse gave you (not while they’re still living, at any rate).

2 Likes

This is the exact reason we have a waffle iron. Well, not exact. He did ask for it.

At least when it comes to kitchenware or cookware, I buy it because I need it.

Now, you and I may have different definitions of “need” but that’s how I decide to buy something for the kitchen.

5 Likes

If I find a pot in better shape then my current one, I’ll buy it. Clean up my old one and donate it.
The “Vietnam Veterans of America” pick up every month (at the end of the driveway) and I try to put a box out. Sunshine usually has a couple of books, and I usually have some sundry items to get rid of.
I’ve also been trying to switch my cooking over to induction, so if I find a pot that a magnet sticks to, I’ll buy it. I’ll then donate my old non-ferrous pot.
I just picked up a new induction pressure cooker, so I’ll clean up my old pressure cooker, install a new gasket (from my stock) and it can go into the donation box (this month).

8 Likes

Yes… I have no idea why I picked up a waffle iron at Goodwill. I guess I thought I would make waffles, but never did. I donated it to a different charity a few months ago.

1 Like

Yes… I am guilty of this one. I remember being sad one day and found this pot. It was pretty and lifted my mood a bit. I think it was $2.00 (cheap retail therapy [LOL]). I didn’t need another pot, but purchased it anyway. I’ve used a few times as a serving dish/pot when we have guests. I’ve never cooked in it, though.

5 Likes

The thrill of the chase. It’s also nice to find good pieces you can afford. The only thing I haven’t used from a thrift haul is a large Zojirushi rice cooker that I got for $5. Once we start hosting big gatherings again (COVID, work, more health stuff, work) I’m sure it will get used. My kitchen is crowded, but I really enjoy using the stuff I have.

7 Likes

My approach, too.

1 Like

Especially in older homes, rare stuffs turn up. I particularly love kitchen “junk drawers”, a treasure trove of oddments. I can troll Sur la Table or Williams Sonoma and never be tempted, but find “woo hoo” items in vintage kitchens. And/or, I find brand new things from the above two at sales where they are selling unwanted wedding presents or expensive impulsive purchases. I love letting someone else take the first mark down!

6 Likes

Its that darn Amazon prime . Buy now . Oops I did it again.

5 Likes

Ah. You get to an interesting point. I think I speak for many people that we buy things from “absolute” need to “margin” need. A pot is essential, but All Clad pot is not an absolute. In this sense, after my post-doc years, I think very few of my purchases are absolutely needed. They are usually an upgrade or a more specialized tool.

5 Likes

I admit that my increasingly rare purchases tend to be upgrades or very specific niche items, like the roasting rack I got to fit a ceramic roasting dish. Fortunately, for many years my acquisitions have been pretty solid and did not cry out to be upgraded. Also, worth noting, upgrading does not always mean more expensive!

1 Like

When I go antiquing, I always says “Let’s see what I have to have that I didn’t know I needed.”

So for me, it’s the enjoyment of poking around various stalls, seeing what is there, sometimes for actual use and often for decoration (wooden spoons, which I do collect, both for use and decoration). I have a shallow copper bowl with brass handles with a nautilus design lightly hammered into the center, a wooden butter paddle, and a triangular tramp-art serving tray - all are decorations on my dining room wall.

I’ve purchased older enameled-on-the-outside baking pans, and have my Grandma’s or Mom’s Mirro cake pans, because I know they’re often sturdier than what you can get now. Because they’re gently used, the price is almost always less than new. I’ve purchased nice wooden-handled spiders with metal wire baskets that I use, and a wooden-handled meat fork that I use ALL the time.

As @jammy said - the thrill of the chase when it comes to antiquing.

3 Likes

Too much money, too much time… :slight_smile:

I have to think about my copper jam pan by Falk. Paid 150 euros, and use it around 5 times a year. Could I also use one of my other pans? Sure. Will I get the same result as with the unlined copper pan? Probably, at least 90%. So, why?!

Every time I use it I admire the craftmanship and beauty. Things I don’t use I tend to sell at some point though. I don’t like hoarding stuff.

2 Likes

[quote=“Vecchiouomo, post:15, topic:35913”]…upgrading does not always mean more expensive!
[/quote]
Indeed, one of the main reasons for buying old or pre-owned stuff is that quality was higher “in those days”, true for some but not all categories.

1 Like

Also maybe that search for that tiny bit of perfection too. That slightly better smart phone… that slightly better burger.

1 Like

A classic example for me was a simple rotary grater. I had an old SS one from WS. The drum had nylon rings on both ends. One came off. It was a booger to use for years. I replaced it with an old original Mouli. Cheaper and better. No nylon rings.

2 Likes