Raw corn on the cob

The other day, as I was waiting for the pot to boil, I took a bite of two-day-old corn on the cob – purely on a whim. It was delicious, much better that boiled or grilled. It was very juicy, despite its advance hours, and I ended up moving over to eat it over the sink.

How many of you have tried this?

1 Like

Hi John. I have eaten raw corn cut off the cob in salads or for “make-yer-own” tacos and the like. Not positive of the ages but it’s likely some of it was day or 2 days old.

I enjoy the flavor and milkiness of it, but there is also to me an uncooked starch aspect to it (at least, that’s what I think it is) that lingers and I find unpleasant, so I don’t eat it very often.

I cut corn off the cob and store in freezer Ziploc bags. I then use the kernels as-is in pasta salads mixed in with other veggies, and enjoy it that way.

1 Like

I often eat a raw ear of corn fresh from the farmer’s market. I can’t wait to get home and cook it.

3 Likes

In the olden days (about 40 years ago) I was able to grow Silver Queen corn in my garden. Nothing beats standing next to the stalks where you just picked and stripped an ear and eating it raw right there in the corn patch!

6 Likes

I went to grad school at the University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign. My 2 closest friends both grew up in central Illinois and worked in the cornfields when they were kids, detasseling (a horrible job). As indoctrination, they took this East Coaster out to the cornfields, grabbed some cobs and said, “try it raw.” I did and man, it was goood.

2 Likes

I haven’t had Silver Queen corn in years. It’s so delicious!

1 Like

I’ll be on the lookout for the starch. For me it was just so sweet and juicy. Maybe I should start stripping the ears right at the farm stand and eating it there.