Rare, Steakhouse, Bradley Beach [NJ]

I think I mentioned having seen this sign, but people on our local Next Door board are posting GLOWING reviews about their soft opening. Exception: the one vegetarian who thinks they’re limiting their customer base by not having veg options–sorry, but if I’m going out for steak, I’m not inviting my vegetarian friends. Note that I do NOT know the people who are posting but there is often a pattern of friends (esp in BB for some reason) raving about certain businesses. I just thought I’d share here that it’s open, AND IT’S BYO.

Here’s the one post that sounded worth sharing:
“Heard the owner is Neal from Neal’s on the beach, Allenhurst Beach Club back in the day. Indeed they did a soft opening, not uncommon. . we got there early, 6ish. . by time we left every table was full with a group waiting outside. Daughter had the filet with crab, the bride had the scallops and I had the NYS Strip, ALL were awesome. Shrimp roll over wasabi salad was rich in flavor with a nice slight kick. Arugula salad was easily enough to share. Onion rings were huge and also plenty to share. For only being open for literally hours, the service and flow was in mid-summer form. Server was Marriete, she was very pleasant and attentive. Granted. . yes, a tad pricey, (it is BYOB) steaks are a la carte but my steak was right there with Luger or Smith & Wollensky, cooked perfectly. There were some non-meat options, the scallops rival best in area, Piccola Italia in Ocean. . Didn’t even check dessert menu, we were that full. I don’t know Neal, have no horse in the race other than loving Bradley has a new great new spot that I believe will quite successful. Highly recommend.”

YMMV.

1 Like

Thanks for the info.

Another restaurant without a menu, unless I am missing it. https://www.rarebradleybeach.com

If I’m opening up a restaurant I’m spending a grand or less to have someone design me a word press website before I open.

I wish them well and I can’t wait to check out the menu.

I find it odd that this name “rare” hasn’t been trademarked. I’m pretty sure the place up north is still open.

1 Like

I agree re: the website, and it’s something that people on ND complained about. While I do understand a soft opening, I don’t understand that the site isn’t 100% ready to go when they unlock the doors, even if it’s for friends/family. When you put your sign up, people start Googling. Why turn them off before they have a chance to see who you are/are going to be? Doesn’t make sense to me.

2 Likes

It’s a BYO so it will probably take some time before I get there, but already I have a pet peeve with them. Why is their logo a cherub riding a fish / carp if it’s a steakhouse?

And honestly regarding the vegetarian complaint for Christ sake, I don’t go to a vegetarian restaurant and ask for a burger. If you’re a vegetarian and are invited to go to a steakhouse here’s an idea, pass on the invitation!

4 Likes

Unlikely that we’ll drive to Bradley Beach and go to a BYOB steakhouse when we can go to The Grand Tavern and get a proper martini and enjoy the top 2% of prime meats there, or the duck for that matter which I had last night and it was fabulous.

2 Likes

I’m actually surprised that you guys aren’t excited about a BYOB! It’s one of the few things I miss most about NNJ. Maybe I was just used to saving that money when I went out…it still ticks me off to spend $15 on a glass of wine when I know the bottle costs <$20. But that’s a whole OTHER discussion!

3 Likes

The Grand Tavern’s wine list is surprisingly well priced, with most selections in the $30 to $50 dollar range with a diverse list, California, France and Italy amongst the highlights. We had a nice jammy Zinfandel from the Paydirt label, $48. And a Jameson’s to end the night. Can’t to all that and a martooni at a BYOB. A BYOB is great for a Tuesday, but I’m not powering down a steak on a Tuesday. Steaks, for me, are a weekend indulgence, and as such require the pomp and circumstance that only a full bar can provide. That’s just me though, I could be wrong.

I’ll defer to that, but since I never go out for steak, I’d still rather bring my $20-25 bottle!

1 Like

I love me a good byob steakhouse. It’s been a while since we’ve had one in the area.

3 Likes

While not primarily a steakhouse, Il Nido in Marlboro has 4 different dry aged steaks on the menu and is a BYOB. I didn’t have steak on my one visit so far but I saw a couple and they looked good. Everything we did have was great.

https://www.ilnidonj.com/menus/

4 Likes

The cherub riding a fish on the wall at Rare, is a hommage to the beautiful fountain on the boardwalk in Bradley Beach. Take a ride or walk a quarter mile east Rare and view one of this fountain, it’s my favorite!!

1 Like

Excellent, I googled it and found the image and now it does make sense! Thank you very much for the clarification. I noticed you just signed up / joined to provide that explanation, may I ask are you associated with the restaurant? We do welcome owners and managers to join our conversations, I do hope to see you post some more! Welcome to Hungry Onion!

1 Like

I get the tie in to the town but @NotJrvedivici I have to agree with you. It looks like this aligns with a seafood restaurant. It also doesn’t scream fine dining to me.

Also @CurlzNJ understood your point about not inviting your vegetarian friends but I think every restaurant should have 1 option that doesn’t have meat. We frequently eat out with another couple. She is as close to a vegetarian as you can get but still eats a burger once a year and he is a steak lover. If there no menu posted online (another pet peeve) then how would a customer know?

1 Like

And where are my manners! Welcome to the group! We are a moderately friendly bunch!

2 Likes

TOTALLY agree with you here, Gracie! I’d just be shocked to find legit vegetarian entrees at a steakhouse–and wouldn’t expect them. Salad? Asparagus? Sure… And maybe I think that way because one of my close friends is veg but also a ginormous PITA to go out to eat with–so I tend to avoid that unless she chooses the place.

1 Like

I took a vegan employee to Steak85 for dinner and she had the truffle tater tot’s and asparagus and broccoli!! (boss of the year if you ask me!!!)

I too went to check the menu and couldn’t find one. If you are at the soft opening point of a launch your official site should be up and fully operational. They seem to only have a home page and nothing else.

3 Likes

See my post up top :wink:

I agree 100%

Yeah I read your post but that was yesterday Johnny, I expected them to have seen your post and have the site up and running by today!

1 Like

1 Like