Rare, Steakhouse, Bradley Beach [NJ]

Those prices are actually on point for prime steaks. I was expecting higher. This place should hopefully do well.

I think they listened!

1 Like

I’m a bit less enthused. (Shout out to @Wizard2 for getting us this) The prices are decent and while they say prime they are not aged -and- more importantly they are only offering 3 cuts? None indicated on the bone? (Which makes me call b*llshit to the review who claimed as good as Lugers)

Lack of any raw seafood items are another turn off for me at a steakhouse I generally like to start with a seafood tower, but that’s more a personal preference.

1 Like

I’m sure those don’t have bones at those weights. And I’m sure this isn’t petey L’s either lol

I agree. I’d love to see aged prime too but you would be looking at probably a 30%+ increase in the steak cost considering the weight loss and labor. Suddenly your 42 cut goes to up near 55 or 60

Maybe they will chime in. That would be interesting to hear their thoughts on aged meat.

Dry aged choice, say 28+ days, or non aged prime. Pick one. (I won’t even ask about wet aged)

Dry aged. As you prob know, the enzymes break down the meat so it gets tender and should have good beefy funk to it. The issue is not everyone likes the aged flavor. This may be why they aren’t doing aged beef. They seem to be keeping the menu simple, which I don’t mind. I just hope the steaks are good. I’d say prime grade steaks will appeal to more people than aged beef but that is just my guess.

I like that they don’t nickel and dime you for the sauces. The ribeye with mushrooms would be calling my name.

I really hope they have decent bread. When I visit a streak house I like good bread and soft butter. I honestly miss steak and ale. That pumpernickel bread still haunts me lol

2 Likes

I thought I recognized the cherub! I was thinking AP boardwalk though…

My friends and I do a Morton’s trip once or twice a year. My friend is vegetarian and always comes and has a good time. She likes their truffle fries and salads. :slight_smile:

Back to the topic on Rare… where’s the porterhouse yo.

And as for dry aged choice vs fresh prime, at a steakhouse for me it’s going to be dry aged choice, since I can easily by fresh prime and cook it myself at a low cost.

3 Likes

I’m a vegetarian. My wife eats meat, and sometimes she wants to go out for steak. Want our business? And it you’ve got shrimp&grits and pasta on the menu, you know how to make entrees that aren’t steak (some BBQ joints legitimately don’t have anything that wasn’t cooked over a fire except a few side dishes, but a steakhouse with a kitchen doesn’t have that excuse, and these days most of the BBQ joints can figure out a veggie burger or giant mushroom; even my local biker bar has that.) It’s really not that hard.

And sometimes I go out to eat with coworkers and/or customers or vendors, and while it was pretty weird for the Indian guy at the other company and I to be sitting across from each other at Fogo de Chau eating salad bar and dodging skewers of meat that were aimed at our coworkers, at least they had a really good salad bar.

2 Likes

People are posting on my local NextDoor about this place again, and while I suspect half of them know the owners (in ANY posting that sounds like a Yelp review), I found this interesting:
Went to RARE in Bradley Beach for the first time. Everything is amazing. Owner/Chef & Manager from Pascal & Sabine. Highly recommend dinning there. Call for reservations, 2 seating times.

I’m posting this not to perpetuate what could be a rumor, but to ask if anyone knows if this is true. The Smith Group (Porta, Pascal & Sabine, Brickwall, and more) has spawned some excellent restaurants via their alumni (Grand Tavern, Cardinal Provisions, iirc Maeberrie)…just wondering if this is another one.

My friend who has worked at Pascal for years was posting on Facebook that she now works at Rare and were hiring, so it seems likely.

1 Like

I ate there a few weeks. Shared the wedge salad and their “popular” ribs as apps and had their pork chop as a main. While the dishes were decent, I am not rushing back. They need to do a better job spacing out their reservations as we waited a bit for our table and there is no place for people to wait inside the space so people milled around the seated tables. It might be better for me on a not so busy night.

2 Likes

Was wondering about Rare Bradley Beach and came across this old post. I found more info on the Neil West LinkedIn page:

"Executive Chef at several restaurants before eventually owning five restaurants of my own, former executive chef at Smith group for Bickwall tavern, Pascal and Sabine

Opening my new restaurant late January or February 2019 “R A R E” Bradley Beach"

1 Like

Thanks, @Senyc ! I’ve heard/seen NOTHING about this place since before the summer…anyone been? The pedigree tells me they should have a clue, but who knows?

1 Like

After my disappointments in Butchers Block and so-so experiences at Gabriella’s I should give this place a try. After labor day!

1 Like

Haven’t been either. Have passed it a couple of times and it seems busy. Good luck to them, that corner has changed hands a lot!!

1 Like