Rancho Gordo beans - tell me more

Wow! Didn’t realize they got so wiped out. I did an order in September for pintos and black beans. Glad I stocked up as the pintos are gone now. Maybe fall is the time to stock up from RG.

My wife joined the newsletter in order to read bean arrival announcements.

1 Like

In the SF Bay Area I’ve found Rancho Gordo beans at my local Mollie Stone’s, and they are available in other local markets like Bi-Rite. They have a retail locator on their website:

2 Likes

I recommend the cranberry beans. Local is sooo much easier!

@Rooster, you might enjoy this New Yorker story about Rancho Gordo beans and its founder Steve Sando.

Fun fact: Back in the 90’s, Steve Sando used to produce a music zine called Mr. Lucky that we subscribed to probably for as long as it lasted. We were big fans of his curation and taste then. If he could do that with music, I’m excited to see what he brings to the table with Rancho Gordo beans.

I scored a couple of varieties locally from Formaggio Kitchen (Cambridge, MA). Not a go-to source, but I found it convenient to include the beans in an order for a few pantry staples I can’t buy at my regular grocery store.

Oh yes! I’m aware of Steve’s multiple back stories! The guy has been a self starter his whole life and that built in following, led in no small part to the amassed bean audience today. Making beans cool is no small accomplishment. Thxs for the link!

2 Likes

Ah, I guessed that you might know already. On the chance that you didn’t have the backstory, I wanted to share that New Yorker piece. Because music. :grinning:

1 Like

Thanks! The NYorker site is down but I have read that article and others. He’s a remarkable character. Great online cooking teacher too.

1 Like

Rancho Gordo beans at Nugget Market in in Nor Cal as well.

1 Like

I eventually located their locator. Sadly, I would have to drive 60 miles to get to a store that carried them…