**Quick or Refrigerator Pickles!**

I make a lot of quick pickled things. I’ve become a fairly lazy cook and having an assortment of pre-made goodies gives me more variety for snacks, sides, salads and garnishes.

I thought it might be fun to have a thread to share recipes!

I recently made a quick cucumber pickle that had fallen off my radar. So glad I remembered it! The flavor is slightly sweet and very refreshing - similar to the flavor of the pickled carrots and daikon used on a banh mi.

I basically half a recipe I found in a restaurant favorites cookbook published by a company which does not like their recipes shared on line (they have a subscription service).

The pickles are one component to a Swedish Meatball recipe.

1.5 c. water
.5 c. vermouth
1 c. sugar
1 small bay leaf
3 all spice berries
1 good sized cucumber sliced very thin

Combine everything except the cuke in a saucepan. Bring to a boil using high heat then remove from the burner. Let cool for half an hour. Place sliced cucumber in a lidded non- reactive container. Pour cooled brine over the slices. Cover and refrigerate for 12 hours.

These are nice on their own or on a sandwich. They have an affinity for pork. They last a good 5 days. The brine can be strained and brought to a boil again for a fresh batch.

Here’s an old favorite from one of my teachers, Mrs. B.

MRS. B’s FROZEN CUCUMBERS

2 quarts unpeeled cucumbers, thinly sliced
1 large sweet onion, sliced
2 tablespoons salt
1 cup cider vinegar
1 ½ cups sugar

Place cucumbers, onions and salt in a large bowl. Cover with cold water and let stand for 2 hours. Drain. Dissolve sugar with vinegar on medium heat. Pour over cucumbers and onion; mix well. Put in plastic containers; leave ¼ inch at top for expansion. Freeze. Thaw before serving.

Move pickles from freezer to refrigerator the night prior to serving (or about four hours before use). Store in refrigerator after thawing.

They’ll look like this if you use a mandoline to slice. I’ve not made them since back in '09 when I made them for the first time. They’re quite tasty! Nice 'n crunchy, too.