Queen Elizabeth II revokes independence of the United States of America

Ah, but we don’t send eposts. See also tins/cans, fries/chips for other Americanisations of English English. But not bonnets/hoods or trunks/boots on cars.

Except in 21403 where we have a 30 year problem with the USPS delivering anything. It’s more like a lottery than a delivery service. Bah!

For Americanisations: chemists/drug stores, something with escalators, elevators/lifts, napkins/serviettes, cookies/biscuits.

I don’t even know what to say about blood pudding in a full English breakfast.

1 Like

How about trying “black pudding” which is what we call it. And it’s an essential component of the “Full Engish”. Well at least in the north.

As you’ll know, the Full English comprises bacon, sausage, black pudding, mushrooms, tomato (and/or baked beans), fried bread and egg. Regional variations may apply - the “Full London” is likely to include bubble & squeak, while the Full Scottish will have haggis. The Full Welsh includes cockles and l;averbread - obviously making it one of the vilest starts to the day you could imagine. And I’m going nowhere near explaining the Ulster Fry. It does not pay to comment, even in jest, about anything invloving the word Ulster. The best black pudding comes from Bury (on the far side of my metro area). Other places, like Stornoway, lay claim to the “best” but they are false claimants.

As regards eggs, you are likely to be asked what type of egg you want in hotels or other upscale places. It’s a choice between fried, poached and scrambled. In the vast majority of places, you will not be offered a choice and it will be a fried egg. You will not be asked how you want that cooked - it will be what Americans call “sunny side up” (?). Do not ask for you egg to be “over easy” or any other such nonsense. Whoever is cooking the egg will have heard of the term (we all watch American TV shows) but will not know what it means and will have had no experience in cooking one. If in doubt, ask for poached. Everyone knows what a poached egg is. If you are precious about your morning eggs, don’t ask for scrambled. They will be cooked in the European style, so slightly runny, not the “chopped omelette” (or omelet, if you insist) that has often disappointed me in trips across the pond.

3 Likes

If I am reading that correctly you are saying in England a fried egg is what we consider a sunny side up egg is that correct? Because a “fried egg” for us, would traditionally mean it’s fried thru and thru, with yolk fully cooked. A sunny side egg here is with yolk and not flipped at all vs. a friend egg which is fried on both sides.

Ah. New Jersey speaks. grin My wife is the same. She wants the yolk to be a rubber puck, and then generally cuts around it and doesn’t eat it. Now a total of six data points is not statistically significant, but interesting.

I want something runny when I poke the yolk.

1 Like

As do I. I prefer an over easy, not fried. I don’t care for the yolks staring up at me, makes me feel like someone is watching me as I cannibalize them. I think I saw that plot on B grade 90’s horror movie; “The Eggs Have Eyes”.

1 Like

Exactly correct.

1 Like

Yep.

1 Like

Are soft boiled eggs illegal in GB?
Hard boiled a no-no too?
That’s downright depressing!
:slight_smile:

Can’t find it. Found “The Hills Have Eyes” from 2006. Not my genre either. “Eggs have eyes” runs straight down a rabbit hole of Japanese cultural standards of beauty.

New Jersey data points for egg yolk hockey pucks corrected to five, all in my wife’s family. Maybe genetic or micro-cultural vice geographical. I feel a poll coming on.

No and no. A hard boiled egg is an essential for any British picnic. Or a Scotch egg, of course

4 Likes

To me, ‘fried’ means left whole and cooked in a small amount of fat and sunny side up, over easy, over hard, etc are just further refinements. Fried vs boiled in shell, poached out of shell, or scrambled.

3 Likes

Yes, my definitions are the same as @Babette, but must be what part of the country you’re in. Interesting.
When I’m in the mood for eggs (not often) I like over easy, poached, soft scrambled, omelettes too. Yolks need to be soft, with set whites. Hard boiled as long as no green rings, for salads, etc. Yolks need to be at least partially/mostly set for egg sandwiches - have found this out the hard way with yolk down my clothes…

ETA: meant to put this in the new egg thread. Oh well, here it will stay.

2 Likes

We don’t get stuff like this on US TV, I gotta say.
:slight_smile:

I don’t think Bragg has ever bettered his first hit - Between the Wars. The lyrics, from 1985, remain powerful today. At least for those of us on the political left.

5 Likes

I saw him at the Eagle Tavern in Manhattan right around the time that came out. Awesome show.

2 Likes

I had a video of the Queen addressing Boris Johnson. I will search for it. :smile:
Is there a video hosting site other than Youtube to upload it? I don’t think the language in it will be allowed on Youtube. (Some of you may have seen it I’m sure)

2 Likes

Youtube will usually allow anything. Check out British comedian Tom Walker, in his character of TV news reporter Jonathan Pie. Bitingly funny satire, with lots of four letter words.

All being well, we’re going to see him live in September.

I love an good blood pudding with a fried sunny side up egg. You need that soft runny yolk to drag a bit of the blood pudding through. Much better that the bit of granola I had for breakfast this morning.

In regards to English style scrambled eggs, I recall on my first business trip to London I was staying at the Grosvenor House. I had put in a room service breakfast order. The server shows up with the breakfast on a little cart that he sets up on the table in my room. There is this covered porcelain dish in the middle. I open it up and it is full of what appears to be a thick creamy egg drop soup. I like my scramble moist but this thing was drowning.

3 Likes

John @Harters corrected my terminology already. I knew better. I also know what black pudding is. It’s hard to get out of my head. Animals are tasty but some parts are better than others.

I stay at the East India Club in St James Square in London - breakfast was generally downstairs. I’m okay with room service but generally, pre-COVID I liked the ambience of the public rooms.

1 Like