QUARANTINE CREATIVE - Spring 2020 (Apr-Jun) Cuisine of the Quarter

It can be used successfully in savory applications too, like sautéed carrots, but I’d start with small amounts. If you use coconut in anything savory, I think the Mexican vanilla would pair well with that too, possibly. I’ll see if I can come up with more ideas for you. It would be a winner of course in panna cotta as well.

Yes, also in panna cotta. I tend to like soft and creamy sweet(ish) things and vanilla goes well with them.

I don’t think I’ve tasted vanilla in savoury foods yet. In beer, yes.

I have tried to plan delicious meal for myself per week as I order food delivered at curbside. I have also tried to support the wonderful restaurants of Cincinnati through take out orders. My son’s birthday present yesterday was a delivered meal. And I am limited income but tipped well.

4 Likes

How thoughtful of you. :heart:

I bought fennel and Brussels sprouts at Restaurant Depot the other day and therefore we’ll be eating a lot of both for a while (large quantities!). I don’t typically eat Brussels raw, but tonight I made a salad of raw Brussels and fennel, shaved, dressed with lemon juice, pesto and olive oil, topped with walnuts. Delicious, and a good thing since I anticipate it will be repeated a few times before I run out of either vegetable!

6 Likes

Foraged sorrel soup

Pascade (a Dutch baby type pancake from Aveyron) topped with wild greens, shredded braised beef, a splash of beef juice, avocado

11 Likes

I voted . Woops

For the first time, I made frittata with leftover spaghetti.

A helpfully detailed leftover pasta frittata recipe I found at Leite’s Culinaria gave me confidence. I didn’t want to end up with a jumbled mess in the pan, you know?

No milk or cream in this recipe, just olive oil and the taste of success.

6 Likes

Made my weekly grocery run today. No limes, no peeled garlic, no yeast, no cleaning wipes (obviously), limited ground beef and other meat, lots of frozen products sold out. I was surprised by the limes, but everything else is becoming par for the course. I have been frequenting a smaller grocery store in a less populous area to avoid crowds, but even there I had to wait in line to get in today.

Asparagus with Green Goddess dressing

Ravioli filled with homemade ricotta…SO EASY, SO CHEAP, and so much more delicious than the most expensive commercial ricottas

7 Likes

I adore homemade ricotta but I haven’t made any since I discovered Calabro brand ricotta at Restaurant Depot. It is by far the best commercial product I’ve ever found. The brands I find at my regular grocery stores are full of fillers and are invariably grainy and awful. Your ravioli look delicious!

Quesadillas with sweet potatoes. There’s a lot of cheese in these but mostly sweet potatoes.

Pancakes with kefir and chia seeds. I made the batter the day before and left it in the fridge overnight. Chia seeds replace eggs as a binding agent.

Dried mushrooms in steamed tempeh dumplings. I added eggs and potato starch which help hold the shape. In the dumplings there are also garlic and store-bought crispy fried shallots. One can add whatever spices to the dumpling mix before forming.

I ate them with cream sauce, morels and Spätzle

And I have been making ricotta (see lunch threat).

Have lots of asparagus these days so I am going to find more creative ways to eat them.

5 Likes

Made southern Vietnamese noodle soup Canh Chua. Well, kind of.

Used prawns and fresh scallops for my version. No fish. But the real problem was I had no pineapple at home, had to find a fruit that has that sweetness and tart, I used kiwi instead. :joy::rofl: Worked reasonable well. I believe that rice noodle should be used, I see most of the photos, they are thin and sometimes yellowish, which I believe are wheat or egg noodles. Been to Vietnam many times, but this dish remains vague for me, not sure if I had it. If anyone can confirm the type of noodles used…

6 Likes

Kiwi instead of pineapple is genius! Not something I would have thought of but terrific idea.

I’m in the midst of making hamburger buns following a recipe from KAF that called for potato flakes and dry milk powder, neither of which I had in the house. I used actual potatoes and half and half instead, and reduced the water and butter in the recipe accordingly. So far so good!

2 Likes

Asparagus risotto cooked with Japanese sake and Korean anchovy broth. Other ingredients are the classics: onion, shallots, garlic, carnaroli, sour cream, chives, butter, Parmesan and white aspargus cooked also with sake. I found fish broth gave the risotto an interesting twist. As for sake in the dish, my palette wasn’t so elaborate to sense a huge difference from a white wine, maybe the flavour was more subtle and sweet when compared to Chardonnay or Muscadet.

5 Likes

I don’t know if these popular restaurant dishes to make at home qualify as free pandemic-related reading or if the paywall applies:

Edited for the url work for non subscribers.

1 Like

I can see the recipes without the usual paywall problems. Thanks for sharing!

(Does the site disable the paywall on food section due to covid?! I can see all recipes!)

We have enjoyed eating out often as a way to stay in touch. Our restaurants are well loved and this seemed like a great present. I am tired of just sending a check since he has what he needs. I felt like the gift was to both son and restaurant we love

1 Like