Pulled pork - leftovers

Everything posted sounds delicious. We often break the pork down into flat packs and portion freeze. My favorite is with eggs but my wife uses the shredded pork in quick tacos.

1 Like

Is the remainder already mixed with vinegar etc?
One local outfit has frozen pulled pork for sale, already mixed with the bbq sauce. It’s just reheated in the oven until 165 degrees F.
I’ve seen some pulled pork pies, haven’t tried them.

Probably a day late and quid short, but I’d opt for a neutral first shot. I usually just pot roast large cubes of shoulder very slowly with onions, garlic and white wine/broth, fresh thyme and a bay leaf. This produces a porky pulled pork or, cooked even further, rillettes or potted pork spread. The leftovers can later be tarted up in any direction you choose without having overtones of sweet or spice or overwhelming herbs.
A kilo is not a large piece for this preparation. You will love (scarf) the results.

6 Likes

Round 1 worked very well. We cooked it as the recipe upthread that I’d found. Pulled perfectly after 6 hours and was very tasty. We ate half of it and the rest is in the freezer, ready for Round 2 in due course

So, from one side of the Atlantic to the other, Mrs H made Cherries Jubilee for dessert. Nope, I’d not heard of it either. She’d bought a tin of cherries for something, now long forgotten, and it was just lurking in the cupboard.

11 Likes

Some more Pulled Pork ideas here, for the frozen leftovers https://www.southernliving.com/food/meat/pork/pulled-pork-recipes?slide=53d9397f-7c38-4fba-ae26-1f17697c3fd1#53d9397f-7c38-4fba-ae26-1f17697c3fd1

I often smoke a large pork butt in summer in for pulled pork. Mine is more Carolina style with a vinegar and pepper sauce. Usually have several pounds of leftover meat to use for other dishes. A favorite of my family is enchiladas. So Harters, if you can find some tortillas at Sainsbury’s and some cheese you’re 90% there.

1 Like