Problems posting images (orientation)

Odd that not all photos even in the same post are either normal or upside down. I don’t seem to have a problem posting using my laptop.

Anyway, just notice the horizontal rows (“latest” page) are like 3 times wider now. Takes up too much room thus more scrolling.

I’m not - I’m a bit old school and hate “typing” on a smart phone. So I Email the pics to myself, download onto my laptop, and then upload from there.

I’m going to send myself one of the pictures (the panino sandwich) to my work Email right now on my work PC, download it, and then upload it here. Let’s see if it works.

OK, first off, when I click on the photo in my work Email, it opens FIRST in Windows Live Photo Gallery" - and it’s upside down. But on my laptop at home, it just asks to save to my computer—which it has ALWAYS done. When I double-click in my Photos folder, the pics always show up on my laptop right-side up.

So at first I saved “as is” (i.e., upside down). TestHO1 pic here - appropriately upside down:

TestHO2 pic - the one I turned 180 degrees to be right side up when I viewed it on my work PC:

So I’m wondering if it’s the way it is downloading on my laptop? Again - when I download and view on my laptop, it’s viewed properly, and I don’t think I’ve made any changes to how photos are downloaded. No idea if I have Windows Live Photo Gallery on the laptop, but I’ll check and see if it can be the default viewer.

But I’ll send you the pic, @sck, from my phone.

1 Like

@sck here’s the upload of 20180130_192253.jpg again. I saved it from the Email I sent you via my phone to my laptop’s desktop and haven’t done anything with it.

And by George - I think you’ve got it! :hugs::hugs::hugs: THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

1 Like

I think it has been fixed. Though if people tries to reupload images that has already been previously uploaded and shown upside down, the reuploaded images is not going to be different. It should only impact newly uploaded images.

1 Like

A new case @hungryonion :

@emglow101
What is the problem, the photo is it compressed? Is the orientation good?

@emglow101 I think the question is whether the pic looks misoriented or ok on your phone/ computer. If its misoriented on the phone/ computer, the forum software is doing the right thing.

Seems to have been fixed for me.

1 Like

Hiya @hungryonion -

Ever since my iPhone automatically & unnecessarily upgraded my photos are uploading to HO with a dull unfocused look. I’ve been manipulating them with the highlight features and it works but the details are overshadowed with brightness. It’s also happening on another food board I use and has the same host (I think). Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a problem with compatibility with iPhone upgrades that can be resolved?

Thanks!

Please provide some examples?

1 Like

Hi @sck!

Testing…

It’s hard because you can’t see the before photo in my album. But in the upload the colors are faded, cloudier, not as sharp & bright.

I put this one on Vivid and it’s not bad but still doesn’t look quite as sharp and some things, like my seafood chowder on WFD, look practically neon with the Vivid feature. :grimacing:

It probably doesn’t look so bad to most eyes and maybe I’m anal because food photos are a hobby of mine. But I definitely notice the difference in uploaded photos on both my food boards since iPhone upgraded.

Do you have the same problem with other websites, like Facebook, Instagram or flickr? Try to upload a few photos to compare.

1 Like

I don’t really post on IG, etc., but I am having the same problem on another board.

I “feel” this problem, the photos tend to be less saturated than on the screen on the phone. But I haven’t do enough test on other platform to see if it is a problem of my phone (colour profile) or it’s a general problem with Discourse.

1 Like

I think you hit it. It’s a color problem?

I think the comparison is between the photo on TheCookie’s computer screen before the upload, and after the upload. Then we can eliminate the issue of the phone screen having different characteristics.

1 Like

I have a HO confession to make. I do all my reports, etc. on my phone. :grimacing: Much easier to upload photos… for me anyway.

Okay, I just sent my DIL a photo of the Seafood Chowder on IG with just the highlight and no vivid feature and it looks exactly like my photo in the album. :thinking:

Ok thanks.

Just want to be sure, you were testing the same photo uploaded above?

Edit: @naf not the same photo as above. It was a different photo I had posted on WFD. I will test the above photo.

Okay, did it with same photo and it looks like the photo in my album… Hmmm. Apple is so irritating with all the upgrades that have no value and have made my phone glitchy!