Pringles just unveiled a $140 collab with The Caviar Co.

I am actually very much looking forward to this.

Too bad no Beluga variety.

4 Likes

About as dumb an idea as lobster mac.

We first came across the combination’s idea here:

https://menus.today/menu/223671.html

What’s dumb about the idea? I’ve used potato chips as a vehicle for serving caviar. I like to make the microwaved version as they stay flat and crisp. Pringles would add too much salt to the caviar to my tastes. The markup on the included caviar is taking advantage of people who don’t know what the fair price is but that happens a lot everywhere.

1 Like

Nothing really. Potato chips go together as well as peanut butter and jelly. No joke, or hyperbole.

For those that enjoy aquatic pearls and indulge in fried spuds, potato chips and caviar are naturally simpatco.

Agreed.

But part of that markup is the convenience. Instead of hustling to go buy a bag of chips and then running somewhere else to buy a can of caviar, you get both in one shot.

And don’t overlook the importance of avoiding the “hot dog and hot dog bun” effect. Inevitably if you buy both separately (caviar and potato chips) you end up with one of more than the other. Then, you’re like, “fuck, I have to eat chips just by themselves, woe is me!”

So, in essence, you can’t really make an argument against the idea being dumb. In any event, it’s just my opinion. I know a lot of people love lobster mac & cheese, too, whereas I think it’s a waste of both ingredients. YMMV.

PS: From a marketing perspective it is probably not a bad idea. See also H.L. Mencken.

1 Like

There’s a lovely caviar bar at the KaDeWe that serves a pretty good selection of caviar with either blini, fries, or chips.

Any of those ≠ caviar-flavored chips.

FWIW, I don’t like peanut butter & jelly, either.

Aren’t all pearls aquatic?

I asked what was dumb about caviar and chips. I like ipse think caviar and chips go well together. Caviar and potatoes in general is a classic combination. I’ve been to cocktail parties where caviar is served on cold slices of potatoes with creme fraiche, caviar on mini potato pancakes, caviar and crisped hash browns so I don’t see how potato chip and caviar fall into the same category of lobstah mac 'n cheese which I do agree is a waste of the lobster. Why is it a dumb idea to package pringles chips with a jar of caviar? Convenient package when it comes with the silly gold colored I assume plastic spoons for the caviar. I’ll stick with my mother of pearl versions.

Oh, I think I see the issue. You think they’re marketing caviar flavored chips.

1 Like

I did. Helps to read the link sometimes.

I’ll see myself out now :rofl:

PS: Mother of pearl spoons only. For both fish and chicken eggs, at least in this household.

4 Likes

Eh, don’t give them any ideas.

2 Likes

3 Likes

linguafood would be so disappointed

1 Like

Drizzle some Truffle Oil (must be Uber artificial) and sprinkle on Gold Flake.

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner.

2 Likes

I am waiting for a collab between The Caviar Co. and Kee Wah Bakery.

Cuz, y’know, the world needs caviar mooncakes.

#EggYolksAreSoYesterday

1 Like

I’m familiar with the Torres brand. Not interested in this or the truffle one, which is presumably fake - yet ever-present if not practically required these days.

More for those who love the stuff. Oh, wait… I’m supposed to be disappointed.

I love the first five Pringles, and then whatever grease is on them starts to gross me out. Trader Joe’s - very briefly! - came out with their version of Pringles, and I loved the whole damn tube of those. So if Trader Joe’s decides to produce a copycat version of this, I will be all over it like white on rice.

2 Likes

They’re such an inferior potato chip to begin with… but then I live in the US potato chip central.

No, I seriously like the fried stacked mashed potato thing. I also like “real” potato chips. I have room in my heart for both. Like Kraft Deli Deluxe and Midnight Moon.

5 Likes

I can die happy if I never eat a potato chip again - be it Utz or Pringles. Cheetos, now… that’s a whole other story.

2 Likes