Pride of the Sea [Matawan, NJ]

geez- nothing against this dude- hope all spots succeed, but I don’t think he’s cut out to deal with general public. Social Media is great tool for restaurants and to engage customers, but not like this, not this thin skinned. He should prob outsource this to either a trusted tech savvy employee who is not hyper attached/emotional as he is or to a third party resource.
Also, frankly, it’s prob a psychological thing where I perceive quality/freshness in relation to cost, but buying “discounted”/“on sale” fresh fish is something I am prob not gonna look to take up. That angle he’s taking me just makes me think he’s having problems moving inventory. The margins are already low enough in food service, a move like this screams of in house issues.

3 Likes

I’ve seen legit like 3 or places in last cpl weeks add a “technology fee” for anyone using credit cards. It’s prob a legal way to skirt the cc fee while still charing it. I think they also use language about waiving fee or discount for cash customers.

1 Like

I think you can offer a discount for cash, but not charge a fee for credit cards.

In any case, I don’t think a .99c fee for a bag is bad. Now, a 99c fee … that’s a different matter. I have no idea which PotS meant. Also, Shoprite does not charge for bags. They used to give credit if you used your own bag (and were the last supermarket to keep doing that), but gave that up a few years ago. Aldi (and Shoprite’s low-cost brother, PriceRite) does charge for bags. They’re also cheaper than their competitors, which is not something one can say about PotS.

And he means “exorbitant”, not “exhuberant”.

The fact that PotS gets his facts wrong several ways here is just a small indication that perhaps he is not to be trusted on other things either.

Speaking as a life long small business person, I can’t disagree with your statement more. Not looking to get into a debate with you, but just because you start a business doesn’t mean you “should” succeed. It takes a lot of sacrifice hard work and “TACT” in customer service.

At this point, with -0- first hand experience in dealing with this person I do not wish them success. I feel bad for other similar businesses in the area who have struggled and have given EXCELLENT customer service and they lose business to this “schmuck”.

If this business fails, which I believe they will, I wouldn’t have a second thought of remorse for them.

1.) If you are already trying to pass on CC fee’s to the customer it’s generally because you don’t have the margins to absorb them.

2.) As you aptly pointed out if he is offering “wholesale” on his scale/level I don’t know how you provide those prices without volume. A liquor rep once told me that Costco would order such a volume of wine that the his company would just mark it up $ .01 so they would make their margins on other products Costco purchases from them. Costco would then sell the wine for - $ .02 than they paid for it, literally marking it down $ .01 below wholesale to use the wine special as a loss leader. You can’t offer those discounts without volume.

3.) While somewhat accurate on his ATM tale, that is with private ATM’s where the vendor and location owner set the ATM fee’s and then split the revenue.

4.) I"m over the Pride and Sea. lol

(not looking to start an argument with you at all, just replying somewhere)

4 Likes

no worries sir- you’re entitled to your opinion and I also value your input as someone who’s been an owner in the industry. I moreso meant it as I wish him no ill will as an individual, but can def see your point as well.

and agree on the ATM thing,; if he really wants his customers to use cash and not CC, offer a no fee ATM onsite. Nobody says you have to ding someone three bucks to use it.

2 Likes

@eleeper, Not true that ShopRite is the last supermarket to give you credit for using your own bags. Whole Foods gives you 10 cents/bag when you bring your own.

1 Like

Point taken. I think the Whole Foods near me hadn’t even opened when Shoprite stopped giving credits. In any case, I always use my own bags there, Aldi, and in produce stores. In Home Depot I often don’t take a bag at all.

The Globe has a surcharge for credit card payment of a little more than 2%.

For weeks, they had little cards on every table alerting customers and then about a month ago, printed a new menu with cash prices listed next to credit prices. Regardless of what I think of this practice, it is nice for them to let people know exactly what they are paying (and it ends up being nominal).

ME TOO! I’m 100% never going which is sad since it is nearby. This guy is out of control. His attitude towards the community is outrageous.

2 Likes

I would legit never go myself- esp if he’s selling discount fish…lol. I only at this point enjoy the trial and tribulations on the site for schadenfreude. Which prob says a lot about me personally…

3 Likes

Oh yes, discount fish sounds icky to boot!

1 Like

Maybe the credit card surcharge for a week was to pay for the weeding…

4 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I don’t know about ya’ll, but I just put my bag of Orville Reddenbocker into the microwave and I’m sitting back waiting for this guy to discover this thread. This is going to like “Rocky III” with Russel & Bette’s being Rocky I and Spaghetti Nettie Rocky II. The guy is going to come on here and say:

" I pity the fool who doesn’t buy my seafood"

5 Likes

if it’s Rocky III then I am fearful. Mr T is no joke; I mean people forget he not only legit killed Mickey, but he tried to steal Adrian and for like one split sec she considered it. Does anyone know if the dude wears a lot of gold chains or has fear of flying…

1 Like

Greg invite this guy to HO. I’m sure it will be a trip. He can tell his side of the story.

Also, upon further research it appears you can charge a surcharge for credit cards. It looks like the law has changed. If I owned a restaurant, I’d bury that into the cost so people wouldn’t complain I was nickel and diming them.

1 Like

If memory serves me correctly you can charge a surcharge for credit, but you couldn’t offer an inducement (discount) for cash.

It was years ago and this stuck in my head. Back in the day it was only gas stations. Now other businesses can tack on a fee. (If what I read on the internet is correct, and everyone knows the internet is always right!)

Apparently surcharges for credit ( but not debit) cards became legal in 2013. Before that, businesses tried to get around the credit card company rules against surcharges by giving a discount for cash, or more likely just building the surcharge into their prices.

At The Globe, took it last night after remembering this discussion.

2 Likes