Pride of the Sea [Matawan, NJ]

The phrasing of this is perfect!

A great example of “Post truth”.

I didn’t write this but I agree with it.

I understand that restaurants seem to be hit with costs from every direction. It is tempting to pass them on to guests, but, in my opinion, is the antithesis of hospitality, penalizing a guest for doing business with you in the way they prefer to do it. Psychologically, passing a merchant fee to a guest is a form of punishment—“If you insist on paying this way, I’m going to make you pay for it”—rather than the rewarding experience it should be: “Here is a delicious dinner and hospitality in exchange for your fair payment.” I am of the mindset that I’d rather pay more for each menu item rather than being nickel and dimed for credit card fees, takeout container charges or other add-ons.

My advice for restaurants is to fold any fees that you are tempted to pass on to your guests into your pricing. If you find that that pricing does not make you competitive, then you need to re-examine your business model. If you really want to discourage credit card use, offer a discount for cash, thereby rewarding the guest, rather than punishing them for spending their money with you.

6 Likes

Ok the weird gets weirder…

1 Like

Texas guy checking in but shouldn’t August be peak time.

1 Like

Actually there is a weird dynamic about restaurants of this nature. (including the one I’m going to tonight Fernandes) Restaurants in Jersey that are 30-60 mins from the water/ocean/shore suffer a lot during summer months because so many people want to “dine at the shore”. So restaurants anywhere near an ocean or water view will have 1-2 hour waits, restaurants like this will be half empty on a Friday or Saturday night because everyone is “down the shore”.

So while one would think August should be a good month, the summer can suck the life out of a lot of restaurants that are within an hour commute of the shore.

4 Likes

'splains it.

The first photo on their (new?) Facebook page implies that the restaurant has a marvelous view of the water. It doesn’t.

I’m not sure if you are referencing the picture of the bulkhead lagoon with the boat lift? If so the description of the picture by the person who posted it is clearly explaining they are enjoying their August vacation and looking forward to seeing everyone in a few weeks when they return.

Nothing seems to indicate they are trying to deceive people into believing the restaurant is water front or has a water view.

Guess he won his court case.

I saw that. He is boasting about his new house! Whereas there are plenty of rumors flying that he doesn’t pay his staff or rent. It is bizarre.

Rumor on Facebook is that Esposito’s is moving into this space. For those too young to remember, the original Peter’s Fishery was where Esposito’s is now before it moved to where Pride of the Sea was.

2 Likes

Make sense. Esposito’s is always packed. I am due for a visit!