Pricing Craziness

s-l400

Schlitz Malt Liquor was a separate line.
We had a Schlitz brewery in KC.
Falstaff and Schlitz were what my grandfather, uncles, and mom and dad drank when I was a young sprout.
I never liked beer because of that till I tasted the good stuff later in life ( than 18).

2 Likes

Rolling Rock was too rich for my wallet at the time. Schmidts was sooo much cheaper than anything else, scary cheap now that I think about it, that there wasn’t really any competition.

3 Likes

I love pony bottles. I’m not a consumer of mass quantities, so they hit the spot. I wish more breweries bottled in them. Friends of mine used to serve them exclusively at their large outdoor barbecues. Their reason? They stay cold long enough for you to finish one, so your guests won’t be abandoning 3/4 finished bottles all over the back yard to fetch an new, cold one. Less waste, less cleanup. The ponies I’ve seen locally are, of course, Rolling Rock, Corona, and Heineken. Did see Modelo offered once in a delivery app. Oh, and Stella, but the liquor store stopped carrying them.

2 Likes

Exactly! I wish more breweries would adopt them; but I suppose that would drive up the price.

Back in the day RR ponies were easily available and cheap. Not sure we ever let them sit long enough to get warm.

2 Likes

I’m going with

The beer that really made Milwaukee famous.

2 Likes

RIP Cindy Williams. May your hassenpfeffer be forever incorporated.

6 Likes

She will be missed!

There was one brand that made ponies that was a big deal when we were in high school. I don’t think it was any of those you mention, but had a green bottle kind of similar to Rolling Rock. Darker, though. But scoring a couple of 6- or 8-packs of those was better than getting a 6 of Milwaukee’s Best Watery Piss.

Edit - It was called “Little Kings”. Google tells me it was made by the Hudepohl-Schoenling brewery company in Cincinnati, although I’m morally certain none of us drunk teens knew that at the time.

3 Likes

:rofl: :rofl:

Now there’s a turn of phrase that may come in handy.

1 Like

Lawyer speak. I’m an unfrozen caveman lawyer - sometimes I just can’t help myself. :wink:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/9781444367072.wbiee855

• The term “moral certainty” has negative connotations. Dogmatism comes to mind, and claims to moral infallibility. The Oxford English Dictionary defines moral certainty as “a degree of probability so great as to admit of no reasonable doubt.” In the seventeenth century, the term became prominent in the legal context.
5 Likes

Quarts of beer - 3/$1.00. The good old days…