Pricing Craziness

Amstel Lite - the ultimate beverage for

1 Like

Well, I’m pretty sure it was some kind of watered-down Miller Lite or Coors Lite, given it was Missouri, 1980.

(Fort Leonard Wood)

good thing you had it!

1 Like

I need to tell them next time I submit my order for 100 Big Macs …

art of the deal

2 Likes

Gross. Thank goodness I won’t be eating for several hours…

3 Likes

I can’t imagine what that crap tastes like after sitting around for who-knows-how-long :nauseated_face:

I have an entire kitchen staff at my disposal, but nah, let them eat Big Macs?

4 Likes

In my younger days, I could put down 3 Big Macs, 2 Filet-O-Fish, 2 large fries, an apple pie and a large vanilla shake wit no problems. Oh, and a large Diet Coke to wash it all down.

Now? Not so much.

On training days I can easily do 2 Filet-O-Fish with hash browns and a large iced coffee. But it means getting there at exactly 10:25 a.m. Which nowadays is too complicating for my life.

Judging from recent posts on several threads, such a meal would cost as much as an actual restaurant meal.

And if given the choice between McD’s and having a private chef prepare your favorite meal, which would you prefer? (Of course, I ask this knowing your affinity for the Filet-O-Fish. )

Even in my younger days, my limit was a quarter pounder (without the orange cheese), large fries and a Coke. Now? I do recall driving thru for an order of fries a few years ago.

1 Like

I would have my private chef prepare a McDonald’s Filet-O-Fish with a McDonald’s Hash Brown.

It would save me the trouble of getting to McDonald’s at 10:25 to get both the breakfast and lunch/dinner menu.

I guess this must be how the other half lives …

5 Likes

This is either pricing craziness or total inability of the author to do math:

In a Washington Post article on oil-packed tuna, we read:

“The challenge, Millstein explains, is that many of the best oil-packed tuna canneries are in Spain, but there’s a high import tax on canned seafood. That’s why most of the olive oil-packed tuna for sale in the United States can seem quite expensive, ranging from $6 to $10 per jar or can. Still, that’s often less than a package of chicken breasts — and much more versatile, too.”

First, where are people paying $6 to $10 for a can of tuna? Or is this some much larger can of tuna than the standard 5-ounce can, or even a 7-ounce can?

And second, if I’m buying a package of skinless, boneless chicken breasts, it’s about $5 a pound (if I get the “Wholesome Pantry” brand at ShopRite), or about a third of the cost of tuna. (Yes, I do have to cook the chicken.)

We are paying $15 Cdn (~$11 USD) / lb for boneless skinless chicken breast in Canada. I mostly buy whole chickens, chicken thighs or chicken quarters, usually at $5 Cdn/ lb (~$3.50 USD /lb)

What’s insane is that the Chilean cherries are on sale for $3.99 Cdn ($2.50/lb USD) when local Canadian cherries have often cost $8.99 Cdn/lb ($7 USD/lb) the last 3 summers.

Regular salted and unsalted butter is currently $7.99 Cdn- $8.99 Cdn/lb ($6 - $6.75 USD)

Plenty of places.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ventresca+tuna+in+olive+oil&i=grocery&sprefix=ventresca+tuna%2Cgrocery%2C85&ref=nb_sb_ss_fb_1_14

We’re not talking only about Starkist and Bumblebee.

4 Likes

I just looked at my receipt from this weekend and see that the boneless skinless chicken breasts were $2.99/lb. I didn’t purchase tuna, but I see that they have Genova oil-packed yellowfin $3.79 for a 5-oz can. So agreed that chicken is far cheaper than tuna and extremely versatile.

The low price of chicken also makes me wonder about the high price of eggs (about $5\dozen).

These are Philadelphia prices at Giant.

1 Like

My prices were for a central NJ ShopRite. (As for the Ventresca prices, those include shipping, because free shipping doesn’t mean you’re not paying for it somehow. I suppose the in-store prices could also be higher.)

And my sympathies to those who are paying Canadian prices.

1 Like

Exactly. My first thought was this great little local importer, they did not disappoint with $14 tuna:

also available here for only $12 :laughing:

1 Like

Love Big John’s PFI. Always happy to see them get a shout-out.

2 Likes

I’m okay with Canadian prices.

I’m always surprised by how cheap some foods are in the United States, considering the very high cost of housing in many cities, and considering the wages some people get paid, both very high and very low.

Different system, different costs.

I go a little crazy when I go shopping at a regular grocery store in the States (outside of Manhattan, where most prices are fairly close to Cdn prices except butter and milk in Manhattan are still much cheaper than Canadian butter and milk), because many things seem cheap compared to what seems like a normal price for me. Even in a high rent place like Aspen or Vail, one could find parsley or cilantro for 79 cents a bunch on my last visit 5 years ago, when I was paying closer to $2 USD/ $3 CDN per bunch in Canada.

This is my $18.04 Cdn, 4.4 lb/ 2 kg roast chicken I made last night.

3 Likes

Ventresca tuna in olive oil is like buying prime fillet as opposed to spare-parts ground beef. Both have their paces, and their uses. I’ve got a stash of Ventresca I don’t use it to make tuna salad :joy:

2 Likes

It makes really good tuna salad though! :joy::gem::gem::gem::gem::gem:

3 Likes