Pressure Cooker and Chicken Livers

I’m thinking about making chicken livers next week, as I found a few older packs in the bottom of the freezer. I want to try something new and thought about putting them in my (jiggler style) pressure cooker.
I’m just wondering if the chicken livers may be too delicate for a pressure cooker, would they fall apart during cooking?? Has anyone (here) tried to cook chicken livers in a pressure cooker??
Thank you in advance.

Isn’t there a temperature that the livers should be cooked to? maybe 150F? If so, it looks like the livers will be overcooked.

I used to save my livers to make a terrine - barely cooked meat in a water bath in oven.

I hope we get pics of the outcome if you blast it over 212F in a pressure cooker. I’m curious dood.

1 Like

I’ve never cooked chicken livers beyond med-rare, which a quick sauté/pan-fry achieves in no time.

I have a really hard time imagining what happens to them in a pressure cooker. Thanks for TOFTT, tho :wink:

2 Likes

Yes… I’ll definitely take pictures and give an update.
My idea was to cook them in beef stock, then thicken the stock with a cornstarch slurry (after cooking - to make a gravy-style liquid), serve them over mashed potatoes with some peas on the side.

1 Like

I think you could sauté some onions and garlic, then add the liver, deglaze with a splash of stock (or vinegar or booze or a combination) and cook without the weight for just a few mins.

Remove the liver, finish the sauce however you like, and add the liver back at the end to warm through.

(I use my little PC like this without the weight all the time for things I don’t want overcooked.)

1 Like

Theyre so delicate I think you’d end up with a slurry.

Livers take very little time. Theyd be overcooked before the pot came to pressure.

1 Like

I think you could saute briefly in a pan, remove and deglaze the pan with your beef stock (add cornstarch at this point if you want a gravy. Madeira or sherry wouldn’t hurt either.) and then add the livers back just to warm through before putting over your potatoes. You really don’t want to cook the livers past being pink. If you are concerned about the livers because they’ve been in the freezer for a while, soak them in milk overnight to pull out any potential off flavors.

4 Likes

I can only envision chicken livers in a pressure cooker exploding - but at least they’ll be self-contained and not all over the ceiling. I agree with Amandarama - I soak fresh chicken livers in milk and a tad of Worcestershire sauce. I sometimes flour them, but always pan fry gently with a mixture of butter and olive oil .

When we lived in the Netherlands, one of our favorite meals was at a Pannenkoeken Huis that served what were giant crepes, about the size of a pizza. Most families had theirs prepared with sweet ingredients but our favorite was sautéed chicken livers with a brandied mushroom gravy.

2 Likes

Pressure cookers are designed to make short work of slow cook dishes .

Chicken livers, or any liver, isn’t exactly a long cook dish.

So, no, I would not do this

3 Likes

Considering chicken should not be served pink, I’ve been leery of serving their livers pink, so I serve them done, without cooking them to the bullet stage. I use a Jacques Pépin recipe which is a lot like one of the methods above.

Pink muscle tissue isn’t the same as slightly pink livers. Everything about the structure of what you are cooking is different, so the cooking techniques are also different.

If you cook them til theyre brown all the way through, theyll be dry, tough, and tasteless.

3 Likes

You can get chicken sashimi.

2 Likes

So far I’ve managed to avoid that

1 Like

Suggest chicken rather than beef stock if you prefer that the flavor of the livers shine through. Yes to a bit of sherry; also to shallots, fresh dill.

1 Like

The whole experiment was a bit of a fail. I tried it and neither my girlfriend nor I liked the end result.
I’m going back to breading and frying them.

4 Likes

Save the pressure cooker for gizzards. Now those are a good use for that tool!

7 Likes