Preserving peeled garlic?

It’s time to order garlic to plant this fall!

I plant in pots. When that doesn’t go well, which for me is often, I buy from the nearby CSA ( about 140 miles northeast of Christopher Ranch). I use a LOT of garlic, order at least once a month, it doesn’t “go bad”, but it might sprout in the fall. I love it roasted and as a confit. I would love to learn more about how long it will be safe (enough).

You can buy fresh, hardneck garlic for eating online sometimes, (I believe Christopher Ranch only sells a softneck variety) ) but I haven’t tried it.

I routinely buy Christopher Farm’s propelled garlic that comes in a 3 lb bag for Costco. You are absolutely correct when you say life is too short to spend time peeling garlic . But at $9.99 for 3 lbs , (sometimes $11.99- price varies even at costco , may be weather related ), they are not expensive. I was out of garlic a couple weeks go, run to local grocery store for the whole garlic cloves which cost me $2.99 for a box of 3 heads. I process the garlic in the food processor, roast them for 20 mint at 400 degrees, packaged an freeze them per my picture taken a few days ago. They last me 2-3 months.

I can’t remember the last time I saw garlic heads in a box!

I grew up 12 miles from Christopher Ranch. It’s still a pretty good gold standard.

1 Like

About to freeze a small bag of peeled garlic cloves (organic from WF) because they start to get tacky to the touch if left in the fridge.

Used to think it it was expensive, but I think it’s much cheaper than fresh organic garlic around here (nyc).

Fingers crossed it doesn’t lose too much in the freezing.

I freeze chillies like indian or serrano regularly, and the key is to use directly from frozen and not let them defrost first. Will try that method with the garlic.

2 Likes