Preserved Lemons

Perfect , Thanks .

1 Like

I made preserved lemons in a vaccum sealed bag this year. I have been making them and reading about them since Chowhound days.
My usual

The new, which have been in the fridge for weeks.

Iā€™d like to put the new ones in the old brine.
I could find only one reference online.
The Suburban Farmer.
Similar idea in Ideas in Food.

They seem fine, butā€¦any thoughts about this?

1 Like

And Iā€™m finally using pickle weights, which you suggested in a much earlier discussion in another forum. Seems to be working.

2 Likes

Nice! I thought Iā€™d neglected to take a picture in the bag. I have since transferred them to a jar. Tasted them today and they are as good as any !'ve made in a jar.

2 Likes

A link for later

Timely post! I made preserved lemons in a bag myself a few months ago and had forgotten to check on them. Just took a look and they seem to be doing just fine. Will probably transfer to a jar now and refrigerate to slow further fermentation.

3 Likes

The best thing you can do is forget about them for a good 4 weeks

2 Likes

Four weeks, four monthsā€¦time has lost all meaning this year, LOL. I honestly canā€™t remember if I bagged these up in April or July!

2 Likes

Pull and taste. Pull one quarter of of a lemon and slice off the flesh and taste the peel. You will know

I havenā€™t frozen them, but the mushy ones are a good addition to mayonnaise.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a good idea!

Iā€™ve read most of this plus the Chow thread and still donā€™t understand the reason for leaving the lemons semi-intact, i.e., attached at the stem end. Tradition? I usually use one or two 1/8 sections at a time and would think that having to cut off a portion would be clumsy and subjecting the contents to unnecessary mauling. FWIW, I use Paula Wolfertā€™s method which is stupid easy and leads to excellent results. I have had jars last two years and still be viable and of good flavor.

1 Like

I still donā€™t know, but I still do it when I can!

I wonder that same thing every time I have to pull a few chunks out for roastingā€¦

2 Likes

Could be to help hold the salt against the flesh

1 Like

This is very similar to how I have preserved lemons in the past. Itā€™s a simple fermentation although Iā€™ve used less salt.

I had a whole bunch of cut up lemons left after a party and made preserved lemons with them, no problem.

1 Like

Time for a new batch! From someoneā€™s tree that needed picking.

4 Likes