Prep Sink Yea or Nay

Finishing plans for kitchen renovation & for the first time we’ll have 60" of counter space between the fridge and the stove.

However, the existing water line and drain are already right there (the main sink is moving across the aisle, a few steps away).

Am I nuts for not installing a prep sink next to the fridge for washing produce?

Reluctant to eat into our primary prep space. Not cooking for hordes, just the two of us.

Do you guys have prep sinks? Do you use them? Do you wish you’d installed one??

Yes!

1 Like

For me it all depends on the larger layout. I love a prep sink but not if it reduces my largest run of counter space. Also not if it is in a “black hole” of the layout. I’m not facing a dark corner while I’m washing and prepping veggies (that is a huge chunk of my Tume In the kitchen).

If it is a little out of my main cooking space and near the fridge so it also keeps everyone out of my space, definitely …

So for me it isn’t such a simple answer.

I think I would say yes, if I had the right layout for it. We just finished a kitchen redo, but there was no good place for a second sink. But, no complaints here. Stuff get brought in and deposited on the counter next to the front door. Just to the left is a large sink for rinsing. To the left of that is plenty of counter for drying/chopping. Next step left is the frig. It works for the two of us. Sorry for the dark pic.

1 Like

How pretty! You’ve got good proximity between the fridge and the sink and all that counter space - it’s great.

Siting the refrigerator in our old house kitchen with three (3!) doors and six windows has been the limiting factor.

Will post a layout sketch.

Agree about how much time spent at the sink!

How many times have you honestly encountered a problem because you didn’t have a second sink in the same room? That’s what would determine it for me, especially if financing the remodel. I guess that’s not really true, I would never make payments and pay interest on a second sink when I could just clean out the first one. I’ve always thought prep sinks were a more-dollars-than-sense kinda thing in residential kitchens.

1 Like

Plan thumbnail NTS-1.pdf (167.5 KB)

So Not To Scale but you can see the issue: nice to be close to the fridge but also nice to have 60" of prep space!

I hear you. No, not financing the project. And the quote on the cabinetry came in ridiculously low (Amish). And the plumbing is there already so the additional expense only the sink and faucet.

But I have never considered or wanted a prep sink so I guess there’s the answer. But a lot of my cooking is rinse-dry-chop & I just wondered if the HOs had strong opinions.

To me, it looks like you won’t lose much space with the small sink being placed near the frig. Still a lot to work with, and perhaps you can find a sink with a flush cutting board cover (not sure the right term) that would leave you with all the space when you were not using the sink. Good luck! It’s a fun adventure.

In the pre-dishwasher days I could see the benefit. But these days I tend to prep in a clean kitchen with any dirty cutlery/crockery sitting in the dishwasher so lots of space and a free sink.

As I cook dirty plates etc get put away in the dishwasher leaving a free sink. Then when food is served I use the sink for draining and then a repository for pans etc before they in turn head into the dishwasher.

I contrast that to the pre-dishwasher days where dirty dishes were competing for prep space. I do have another sink in the laundry (off the kitchen) which I always thought I could use as an overflow for he kitchen - but never have. My architect also wanted me to install a sink next to the BBQ (I resisted) and I have never missed it.

1 Like

My two cents. I am a general contractor. You can put a small 18 inch prep sink next to the fridge. I would leave at least 6 inches to the right to keep it away from the fridge. Now you’re down to 36 inches in your prep area next to the stove. I don’t think it’s worth it. I’d rather have the counter space. Keep things simple.

1 Like

Down to the last few decisions now. I’m a designer but not interiors so the whole process has taken a year and my eyeballs are bleeding from staring at Pinterest. Still and all, first world problems!

Gonna be a bonfire of peeling pressboard cabinets this winter.

1 Like

Yeah that 60" is beautiful to me. . . :wink:

You should keep it especially when you’re pulling stuff out of the fridge. More counter space the better.

2 Likes

And save the marriage. Spouse still trying to wrap his head around “prep sink” - he thought the worst was over.

2 Likes

I’d rather have the uninterrupted prep space and large main sink.

2 Likes

Thanks, I think a theme is emerging. . .

2 Likes

Put a sink large enough to wash pots, sheet pans etc. I frequently see high end kitchens with too small sinks or sinks with partitions that limit the size of pan that can be washed in it. If your space is limited do not cut down on the size of your main sink. My favorite sink is a two compartment one which has one side higher (shallower)than the other and the partition is low enough to allow you to put a hot pan of soup or stock in the higher side and run cold water continuously in it which spills into the deeper side in effect creating a “bain marie”. The shallower side also makes for a good prep sink. I looked online for a picture but was unable to find one. I’ve only seen these sinks in professional kitchens.

1 Like

Absolutely! In fact aside from water damage to the walls, replacing a small sink is what tipped me over into ‘We’re doing this’ mode.

How many of you have Bad Sink Karma? I do!! Almost every house I’ve ever rented or owned had what I think of as the RV Sink (cheap SS, five inches deep, short single bowl or itty bitty double). Yugh, makes washing up a misery.

We’re pinched into a 30" slot for a single bowl sink so I don’t think I can fit the product you mention. Although a friend has one & it’s pretty good but being ceramic the ‘shelf’ side isn’t really big enough to accommodate a stock pot. I imagine the SS ones = better.)

I’m going to specify 9" deep because I have had upper back problems and any deeper = physical therapy. Dirty pots and pans will hide in the pantry when we’re cooking for guests.

1 Like