Preference for end-grain cutting board

Hello.
After less than two years my 15”x20”x2.5” maple Boos Block developed two cracks on one side. Lucky for me SLT refunded my money no questions asked, even though I was outside of the Boos warranty.
Now I question buying a Boos again. I took great care of it, never allowed it to remain damp, oiled it frequently. . .and enjoyed using it. (And it was very beautiful - points!)

This was discussed on the other site but perhaps there are folks on HO w/new perspectives.
I would like something large and easy on the blade edge. Not concerned about cleanliness, I have an inexpensive plastic mat for meat.

Are there other makers of end-grain boards you recommend? Anyone have any thoughts about why my board failed? Alternative products? (The Boos met my needs perfectly. So sad it failed.)
Thanks!

“Now I question buying a Boos again. I took great care of it, never allowed it to remain damp, oiled it frequently. . .and enjoyed using it. (And it was very beautiful - points!)”

You should take care of it, but it shouldn’t be a hard job. A good end grain cutting board should make your life earlier by keeping your knives sharper for longer, not making your life more difficult and consuming more time from you.

Overall, I think Boos makes good cutting boards, but I have also heard a lot of complaints too. I always wonder if there are more complaints simply because there are more Boos cutting boards.

Natural wood cutting boards are a little bit of rolling dices. You can do everything correctly and the wood still crack, and you can abuse it and the wood still holds just fine.

My suggestions are: (1) Go for a cheaper cutting board, like Catskill or something you find in TJMax. (2) try to incorporate either beeswax or tung oil, so you don’t need to oil your cutting board all the time. I don’t even oil my cutting boards after the first oil session.

1 Like

I’ve had my boos for years now (maybe decades - ugh). So maybe you had a bad board.

But one thing that can cause cracking in any wood is uneven moisture content. I always recommend cleaning BOTH sides of a wood board so that one side isn’t getting wet while the other side is bone dry. This holds the same for wood bowls/salad bowls - wash or at least wet both sides every time you wash. You may have been doing this but it is a possible cause for anyone else reading.

I wish I could sugggest other brands for you but I’ve had mine for so long that I just don’t have enough other experiences.

1 Like

https://www.etsy.com/shop/TopChopButcherBlock?ref=l2-shopheader-name

This is where I got mine. Very happy with it , have not had any problems at all!

When I last shopped for a cutting board (pre-internet) John Boos was the only game in town. Now, I use plastic ones that are dishwasher safe that cost a few bucks each. Whatever you decide, I’d check Amazon & Ebay first. There are a lot of good things coming out of the Far East.

1 Like

Really nice! I like the fact that the product is cherry, which is arguably one of the most sustainable hardwoods. Thanks!

You may have put your finger on it. I tended to use only one side, so while I oiled the entire board, I wiped the top w/a damp microfiber cloth more (always removed moisture with a paper towel, but still.)

There are two angles for being “eco friendly”. One is that the impacts of producing the product. The other is durability. Not saying that cherry is not. I just wanted to throw this out. I often hear the term “Green” or “Eco friendly” pans – basically ceramic based nonstick cookware. These green pans are supposedly having a lower impact on the environment. Well, here is a catch, most of them do not last very long, so people end up having to buy them more frequently. My guess is that a stainless steel cookware which last you 30-50 years will be better for the environment than a green cookware which you need to change ever 1-3 years. (many people complained that they only last 6 months or so)

I hear you!
The thing about cherry, as I understand it, is that it outcompetes other forest species to the point that it’s invasive in some parts of the country, but since it is a workable hardwood it Has been proposed as an alternative to exotic hardwoods. Also since it’s indigenous shipping isn’t an issue.
Since we’re all about quality at HO I assume we’re sending far fewer items to the landfill.
My pet peeve is food packaging. But that’s another topic.