Power’s Out…

OKAY… we got a lot of snow (and it ain’t done), and in typical PG&E fashion the power is out with no estimate of restoration. I really don’t want to run the generator all night so I’m curious how warm I can let the freezer get overnight.

Last time this happened I pretty much tossed everything, but this time the freezer is full of meat, seafood, and a bunch of other stuff. I keep it at 0 F. So what is the max that can be tolerated for this stuff over a period of 6-8 hours?

3 Likes

The fuller it is, the longer it will stay cold. Not knowing the other factors, I can’t guesstimate. I’d only open the door once to put a freezer thermometer in there, if you haven’t done that already. Close the door, and check periodically, maybe every 8 hours. Good luck.

3 Likes

…or put everything out in the snow.
:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Great idea, except it could draw raccoons, coyotes, wolves, or bears. Oh wait, the bears are hibernating now. Or should be, anyway.

1 Like

But what temp am I looking for? What is considered safe, and for how long? Last time it was up to the mid-forties, which is why I tossed most stuff.

PG&E says a fully stocked freezer should be good for two days… I kinda doubt that.

2 Likes

I actually don’t doubt it, unless the door is opened too frequently or remains open. Here is a link:
Freezer Food Safety During a Power Outage

2 Likes

No advice but lots of sympathy. 6am this morning, with neighbor’s Christmas lights in the distance.

We have power and wifi; son, a half mile away, has neither. Or water since his well relies on power to pump. Winter fun in the country.

Almost 24 hour snow for the next 4 days. Hope the snow plow remembers our side road.

4 Likes

I’m sorry about your situations! Does anyone mind saying where they are? @pilgrim , aren’t you on the west coast, maybe California?

I had a similar thread but my power outages are in the summer-fall. My take on it was that frozen food typically did fine, especially for safety, but maybe not quality.

ETA; seems like it would take awhile for a freezer full of meat to get to 40 though. I might start eating! Do you have gas?

3 Likes

We are in the Sierra foothills. Nearest town is the county seat, San Andreas. 3 1/2 hours from our SF home, unless we stretch it to 5 with stops at garage sales, farm stands, taco trucks, Harbor Freight….

4 Likes

Ahhh! Good old Calaveras County! My daughter used to camp at Sugar Pine in Arnold. Do you know the elevation where you are? I was hoping to catch a glimpse of snow on Mount Vaca (2,822) but not today.

1 Like

Village itself is 2400. We are several hundred feet higher.
(We had a power failure during a heat wave several years ago. Meats putrified for several weeks before we were up here. We couldn’t clear the stench from the refrigerator/fre)

1 Like

Sactown friends who spent the holiday in Portland drove back and barely made it through the Ashland to Redding stretch before closures reported snow clear down to Red Bluff.
Really weird.

2 Likes

Power still out, and internet as well. Thousands without service.

This morning freezer was 30F… and everything still felt frozen so I think I am good.

Lent my neighbor my snowblower, and he offered to pick me up some more gasoline.

10 Likes

That must make you Scott in Pollock Pines!

4 Likes

Seattle area, snow on the ground since December 26th, and the coldest temps since 2010 - mid teens, but warming a bit to 27 right now. We haven’t been affected by any outages, but some have been.

4 Likes

I’m learning to hate the snow. But I just have to work with it . Start your generator. Count down to spring.

5 Likes

Beginning of November I have the snow is coming list

1. start snowblower. Check everything is working.
    2 ) make sure there is enough gas to run the machine for months. Plus starting fluid. I have found it easier to start using this .
    3 ) Be ready to drain hot tub and disconnect power. I don’t use it much in the winter.
    4 ) Remove all garden hoses from hose bibs and store. Finished watering.
    5 ) ordering 130 gallons of number 2 diesel for the stove . This will happen 4 to 5 times during the winter at around 5 hundred dollars a pop now .
    6 )Start stocking the pantry with oils , spices, and dried goods.
    7 ) Make sure everything is covered and go buy more food , wine , and vodka.
    8 ) Cheers . I can’t wait for spring. Cheers .:wine_glass:
8 Likes

Spoken like a true Golden Stater …
:cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

I only got a dusting, maybe 1/2 inch, both Saturday and Sunday night. Power went out while I was sleeping so I don’t know how long it was out but the house was very cold when I got up. Lots of power flicks those two days, just enough to cause you to have to reset all the clocks.

In winter a quietness falls with the snow
The icy cold wind makes our cheeks and noses glow
Warm soup in the pot
Our hand pushed into mittens
Bundles up in coats we look like fat kittens!
Nancy Giffey

7 Likes

How far inland are you? We got snowbombed over here in the RV.
From GP. A wonderful local photographer…

Jasman Lion Mander

8 Likes