Potato chip flavors all over the world

The first time I went to a supermarket in southeastern PA, around 1988 (I’d just started school in Delaware), I was astounded at the variety of potato chips on offer. I’d never seen chips fried in lard before. In my part of NJ back then, it was basically Lay’s, Wise, and Pringles–maybe Utz also if you were lucky.

3 Likes

Not exactly a potato chip, but I got some Japanese Cheetos from Nijiya recently. They taste like American Cheetos but quite a bit sweeter.

4 Likes

I love taro chips. I’d be right there with you munching on these. I like the regular Terra chips too, but the sweet potato and taro chip pieces were always my favorite.

I recently saw that Terra chips has jumped on the spicy/hot bandwagon. It’s not on their website though, so next time I’m in the store I’ll have to check them out. I was a strict - “pick up cream, and fruit and nothing else” type of trip, so I saw them and had to speed away.

3 Likes

Finding their taro hips are hit and miss in my area. I bought a box once from Terra website (I think it was).

Sometimes I buy taro to slice on the mandolin then deep fry. Those are pretty darned good too.

2 Likes

What I usually do, is I buy their regular chips and dig all the taro ones out and eat them first (or save them for me). :sweat_smile: I guess I should consider making my own, since I have easy access to taro and I’m at the Asian markets all the time. I don’t like frying things at home if I don’t have to, and I never quite get them to taste the same. Baked chips I’ve only had mixed success, even with the air fryer.

I found a picture of the spicy ones online:

2 Likes

7-11 tamago sando with these chips sandwiched in?? Yes, please!!!

Pringles Japanese Egg Sandwich-flavored potato chips are on sale now, taste and smell the partTAZAA News

Japanese egg sandwiches are a form of culinary art, but can they be adapted to the medium of potato chips?

3 Likes

Slightly more accessible:

That’s either brilliant or the worst thing ever.
Maybe both.

1 Like

Mild distant cousin of:

1 Like

These Irvins chips are my fav, also salted fish skin and salmon skin… you can see they are ridiculously expensive unfortunately, but if you ever spot a deal give em shot

Irvins Salted Egg Potato Chips (walmart.com)

I heartily enjoy the Zapps chips.

3 Likes

Holy cow!! Sold!

Grandma Utz! So devilish and addictive.

1 Like

In Singapore: what else?? :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Count on Singapore, Japan and Korea for the awesome/not boring flavours.

(Miss your frequent participation -like back in the early days- and travels, but I think I know why.)

:beers:

2 Likes

Haven’t had much to contribute these past couple of years. Finally crawled out of my cave and landed Singapore a few days ago.

We’ve had some delicious eats, I’ll post a few pics soon. Still only pecking on my iPhone 7, so posts will be simple per usual. Cya.

1 Like

The truffled chips are singing to us.

1 Like

Not a potato chip, but I did try Tikka Masala “Cornitos” from India. Think spicy Indian Doritos.

1 Like

Betcha can’t have just one!

4 Likes

a.MA.zing! Singapore is officially the place to find coolest chip flavours.

A simple flavour found all over Spain is “huevos fritos” (fried eggs, not salted-eggs-fish-skin which already exists in Singapore).

1 Like

From Torres we really like the truffle one but where a bit underwhelmed from all their other flavors (haven’t found foie gras yet for obvious reasons). But I want some of the other one from Singapore