Possible to reuse bottle of Red Boat Fish Sauce?

Is there any trick to getting the top off of these kinds of bottles? I would like to preserve and reuse the top if possible. (I will be refilling from a larger bottle of fish sauce.)

I would remove the old top with a utility knife and/or pliers and replace it with one of these…

Usually, you can remove that type of top if you stick a screwdriver into the hole, then gently pry it off.

Do you know what these are called? I like how this one has a flip cap on it, the one on my olive oil bottle does not.

Pouring spout/pour spout. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_8_8?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=pouring+spout&sprefix=pouring+%2Cprime-instant-video%2C149

1 Like

Good search keywords are “pourer”, “spout”, “flap”, “flip”, and “hinged”. You can also get ones with a removable rubber cap on the end.

Here’s another Amazon link:

Thanks. I’ve been reading the reviews today to find one that has a good seal, a good flap, and will fit this small bottle. I need one for my toasted sesame oil bottle, too, and I’m sure I will find other similar bottles where I can use them.

Or - carefully, so you don’t badly scratch or break the glass - sticking a butter/table knife under the rim and prying it up just enough to get it past the first ridge in the glass holding it on, then removing the knife and just prying it off the rest of the way by hand. Running it under hot water for a couple of minutes would probably help, by slightly softening the plastic…

I didn’t have a screwdriver small enough to fit in the hole (ordered one but it’s taking its time getting here), but the butter knife worked. I think I might even be able to reuse the top. I can’t figure out what size bottles the pouring spouts on Amazon work with and this is a smaller than average bottle.

I doubt that the typical commercial spouts will fit but you CAN reuse the cap, or use the spout on a bottle with a standard-diameter top.

Here are other alternatives: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_1_2_hso_sc_smartcategory_4?rh=n%3A1254736011%2Ck%3Asmall+squeeze+bottle&keywords=small+squeeze+bottle&ie=UTF8&qid=1468257365&sr=8-2-acs

I don’t know the actual measurement, but unless otherwise specified, they should fit pretty much any bottle with a more or less wine/liquor bottle-sized opening (which includes in my experience, most regular - not tiny - bottles that oil and vinegar are sold in.) And since they’re slightly tapered and/or have little plastic “fins” on the side, there’s a little leeway there too.

They also sell spouts made of cork rather than ribbed plastic. If you got the cork ones, you could shave them down to size with a utility knife.

2 Likes

Champagne saber…

1 Like

Yup, that’s how I open ALL my bottles, jars, cans, milk cartons, and cereal boxes. It really impresses the ladies!