Pork Belly Recipes

Thank you sharing the reality of this picture!

I had the broiler issue when I made porchetta and shoulder-as-porchetta last year - even on the lowest rack, there were burnt spots.

Glad it tasted great!

1 Like

Look what I found!

Underside

The local Lucky’s often surprises me! It’s skinless, but lots of meat and I was really pleased to find it.

2 Likes
1 Like

Here’s a nice video from a friend. I like his simple recipes.

4 Likes

I did get the dish clean!

3 Likes

Cut in 3x3x1" squares and slow smoked, served on lightly toasted Hawaiian rolls as sliders.

1 Like

Siu yuk is definitely one of my favorite pork belly preps.
I think anyone who attempts it should get a jaccard. A fork does not do the job as well. What sets this preparation apart is all those holes in the skin, which makes for an airy, light crust. Lots of roast pork comes with crispy skin, but it’s not the same. You are shooting for tiny little bubbles, lots of them, in siu yuk rather than big blisters, or worse, smooth skin.
I like to roast until tender then turn the broiler to low and let it slowly crisp up.

I actually put a salt crust on my pork belly before roasting and then roast without. You can make this without the blanching step, but it’s much easier to pork all those holes on blanched skin.
Any leftovers become Thai crispy pork belly with Chinese (now just regular) broccoli.

Another favorite is twice-cooked pork belly. I like that this dish tastes as good at home as what you get in restaurants:

I also love this preparation, which has a different texture from double-cooked pork even though ingredients are similar:

2 Likes

Thick slices like this make delicious char siu. Normally I use shoulder/butt, but I love how pork belly cut like this turns out with a char siu marinade and cooked until well-caramelized. The char siu makes for great fried rice.

Otherwise I get these for Korean bbq kept fairly plain and served with accompanying sauces and banchan, or bulgogi:

3 Likes

I love Ukrainian food and salo))) It’s a little strange but really tasty as a starter

1 Like

Working on a piece today, and wanted to link this thread.

And since a part of it is very fatty

Today’s pics, smoking two thick pieces without skin, and a thinner piece with skin. That’s the way the piece I ended up with was cut.

The thick pieces are from a recipe, the thinner, with skin, was because it seemed efficient to smoke it at the same time.

4 Likes

The smoked pork belly tastes great.

I know I haven’t done what I’ve read. , but I would still like to get that smoked pork skin on the left crispy.

5 Likes

I’m doing it! It’s poached, skinless and I’m using five spice and related seasonings, like this.

But smoked, at 225, so far at about 30 minutes

How long and at what temp? What temperature am i going for?

I’ve still got it at 225 and thinking two to three hours, going for 200 based on these

Cut up about 3"x3", and at about 1.5 hours. 168 f.

Doing this chicken next.

https://thewoksoflife.com/easy-five-spice-baked-chicken/*emphasized text*[quote=“Vecchiouomo, post:30, topic:22990, full:true”]
Cut in 3x3x1" squares and slow smoked, served on lightly toasted Hawaiian rolls as sliders.
[/quote]

2 Likes

Sorry. Here’s the chicken recipe.

And the smoked pork belly at about three hours.

5 Likes

I thought I had bookmarked a pork recipe on this thread or a linked one, but I can’t find it! I think it involved leeks, and someone had included a picture of a specific bean paste. I’ve finally assembled the ingredients and now I can’t find it!

Here it is!

2 Likes

Addendum, having a large chuck leftover from last pork belly roast, I cut it into small blocks, put it in a dutch oven with water and let it cook down until falling apart → RILLETTES! And furthermore, great carnitas. Waste not, want not.

2 Likes

I made some cabbage pad thai with the smoked pork belly leftovers. Good!

4 Likes

Last night I started out with therecipe again

When I tried this last spring, it burned under my broiler. (see above) My fault; I wasn’t paying enough attention to the recipe

This morning I got curious about using an air fryer. I found a wide array of cooking temperatures, and thought this one from “Ms. Shi and Mr. He” looked interesting.

Anyone tried their recipes? Anyone made a successful crispy roast pork belly recipe in an air fryer? What temps did you use?

I’m done…I think. Finished under a low broiler.

ETA The crunch on the skin was perfect, the flavor and doneness, tenderness on the meat was perfect! Unfortunately it remained a bit salty, and the richness of the fat layer made it hard to eat as much as I wanted to.

2 Likes

Looks fantastic! That’s pretty even broiling!

Good problem :yum::joy:

1 Like

Looks great! I prefer not to bake with a salt crust as I think the results are better and no risk of saltiness that way, which I’ve experienced. If I do salt on the skin I do it beforehand and take it off before it goes in the oven.

And I usually bake it for like 45 minutes to an hour before broiling because I like it more tender (this holds true when I get this from Chinese places— my favorite ones are more tender than some other places that have a noticeably firmer texture). It’s still pretty fatty, but less so than when done at the short cooking times that some recipes call for.
I like to use leftover for stir-fried crispy pork with Chinese broccoli. Even if it’s salty it doesn’t matter much in this dish.

I am not a fan of using baking soda on meat for stir fries, but on pork belly skin I don’t mind it and this method produces such a good result. The seasoning comes out perfect (though I tend to add a little rice wine and sugar). I CAN taste the soda a bit. There’s a certain toastiness to the flavor. It is not unpleasant, though, as I find it when used in large amounts (and by large I mean more than 1/4 tsp per pound or so) on meat that is stir-fried.

This guy tested a few different methods

I really like the seasoning on the meat for this one

Here’s Pai not doing salt crust:

I think boiling is so much easier, though. Poking holes through the skin is much easier when you’ve boiled it first.

4 Likes