Plaza "Full Thread" Saffron at Costco

I just got a notice that Costco is carrying Plaza Full Thread Saffron, in a 14 gram jar for $70. Here are the details:

Plaza Saffron is excited to feature our top of the line Saffron for this season, ultra premium full thread product of Spain. With a certified color score of 200+, this is this one of the best Saffron’s available in the world. Plaza “Full Thread” Saffron maintains its quality longer than our previous “Coupe” selection. Saffron botanical name is Crocus Sativus, it is estimated that it takes a little more than 14,000 stigmas to produce only one ounce of saffron (Did you know they are picked by hand?). Remember you are paying for quality and that will become evident as you smell and use this wonderful variety from Spain. Lab tested for purity/potency/origin right here in the USA!

Includes:

• Full Thread Spanish Saffron - 14 gram/jar
  • Hand Selected & Packed
  • Features Full Length Saffron Threads
  • Certified 200+ Color - ISO Category #1 Saffron
  • Care Guide & USA Lab Quality Results included
  • Shipping included: Via FedEx Ground

It seems like this is a holiday offering.

1 Like

Much better deal. The sourcing is trustworthy and super fresh.

2 Likes

Hi Rooster. The Burlap and Barrel may be the right choice if only a small quantity is desired.

As often a problem with Costco, one must buy (much) more than is needed. Costco is 14 grams @ $70/jar.

B&B is 0.5 grams @ $ 8.99/jar. $251.72 for the equivalent 14 grams from Costco. (plus s&h)

I would like to experiment with saffron, especially for biriyani. Might order the 0.5gm from B&R and see how it goes. Thanks for the suggestion.

3 Likes

I’ve bought 1 gram some 3 years ago, and it lasts forever, still have 2/3 of the bottle. It’s better to buy more often as it doesn’t like humidity.

3 Likes

I get the math :grin: but I would waste the $70.00 and not a bit of the $9.00.
I trust BB and would rather buy the freshness. Plus, I would stock up on other BB spices and earn free shipping while still not dropping $70.00.

3 Likes

A half ounce is a lot of saffron. You could re-pack small amounts and make a dozen stocking stuffers.

3 Likes

If you were doing brisk business selling your own cooking specialty which happened to contain saffron, this much at once could easily make sense. But other than that… I mean, even as stocking stuffers, it would be very odd to find a family in America who all would use saffron if they received it as a gift.