Planning a yacht delivery

You’ll make me blush.

Every time I read when of your trip notes I feel like I’m getting a glimpse into NASA space flight planning. Truly an amazing sense of detail.

2 Likes

That’s a bit of a hallmark. It comes from a career thinking about what could go wrong and developing contingencies. Colleagues (I run a nascent delivery skipper co-op) and competitors have said I overthink things. They tend to be more on-the-fly decision-makers. My customers on the other hand are very happy. When they ask questions I have consistent answers, footnotes, and often visual aids. grin Insurance companies like me also.

3 Likes

Brief update - not much food. HF/SSB radio (shortwave) that will give us weather fax and email offshore is working. Some minor mechanical work to secure things but the radio works. Talked to stations in Illinois and Wisconsin yesterday. Very happy.

Produce pickup at grocery today at noon. Lots of organization. Two crew (of five including me) arrived last night. Owner/crew has been here since last weekend, and the last person is a local who will be in and out.

Still have to commission the watermaker and get the food all organized and stored.

3 Likes

Fascinating to read your travelogues. My DH is a mathematician/engineer but not a sailor like you, He’s more into Porches on the track. His work was in NATO military department of defense. But he can model like you do. Precision and algorithms .

1 Like

It is quite difficult to get get a porch around turn one. Clearly Porsche. grin I had a roommate at one time with a 944 which was really nice. Soft spot in my heart for the 911. I’ve found myself to be a pickup truck guy but I still appreciate the Porsche works of art.

First all crew dinner on board last night after a long work day. Meatloaf made ahead and frozen, thawed, and cooked on the boat and a salad.

Remnants of Hurricane Zeta passed overhead Thursday early afternoon and it just rained hard all day. Mostly inside chores but getting the watermaker commissioned in the port engine room which has an overhead hatch on deck was a little damp. Watermaker is making 63 l/hr (rated 65) which is quite good for brackish water. Water consumption on rations is 1 g/person/day, 2.5 for more liberal supply (or when I do dishes grin). The watermaker means we can actually have showers.

Got the HF/SSB radio working and Pactor modem talking to the radio and my computer which means weather fax during the trip (big deal).

Crew member assigned as purser “blew up the boat” pulling everything out of all storage, organized, labeled, and restowed. I am really impressed. Finding things, especially food, is going to be a doddle. The stupid freezer is the only sticking point. Really hard to organize efficiently. We’ll manage.

1 Like

I think you would appreciate my DH’s garage; a 911, a 914, and a Tacoma. Checks all the boxes, fast, slow, and workhorse. (He has a car disease. His first word was truck.)

2 Likes

Did we ever get tracking information?

1 Like

I may have. Here it is https://maps.findmespot.com/s/D97H

We left Annapolis yesterday morning at 0856. Arrived Cape Charles VA this morning around 0030. On the dock waiting for fuel and then will hold for weather system to clear - off the dock in the morning Tuesday 135T to 65W then South the VI.

2 Likes

Wishing you a safe and successful trip @Auspicious.

Just for the record: Enchiladas for dinner Saturday, chicken on the grill Sunday, marinated baked chicken tonight.

1 Like

I know you’re busy when aboard, but do you think you could possibly get a few pics of the galley, the irksome freezer, and a meal or two served aboard @Auspicious? Would be interesting to see.

I will take pictures. I may not be able to post them until we get to St. Thomas.

1 Like

Off the dock in Cape Charles VA heading to sea.

1 Like

Boat problem diverting for repair.

1 Like

Oh noooooo.

Poor lead on a reefing line from the factory led to pulling a line stopper off the cabin top. Found a local rigger in Hampton (friend of a friend - I’m just this guy who knows people) who got us fixed up last night. We’ll be back off the dock at first light this morning.

5 Likes

Bon voyage!

1 Like

This was the story of our summer boating. As soon as one thing got fixed something else broke - usually as part of the repair process. Considering the engines are 30 something years old I guess it is to be expected but still annoying.

A boat is a hole in the water you throw money into.” “The two happiest days in a sailor’s life are the day he buys a boat and the day he sells it.

I know it’s not your boat but wishing you safe travels.:rainbow::boom::star::balloon:

2 Likes