Planning a yacht delivery

A (boat-owning) friend of the family once said that if you want to know what it’s like to own a boat, just stand fully dressed in a cold shower and stuff $100 bills down the drain as fast as you can.

4 Likes

Ha, I’ve always said I don’t want a boat, just friends with a boat! I’d bring great comestibles and libations for a boating day though…

4 Likes

A friend of mine had a nice Boston Whaler that he liked to take out into the Gulf of Mexico. We caught a lot of fish but his wife did a spread sheet on maintenance. Goodbye Gulf.

1 Like

A couple of minor boat failures and we diverted to Morehead City NC. The failures aren’t the problem. It’s the next thing that fails that becomes the problem. In engineering this is called a failure cascade.

Working logistics and weather to get back out Wed or Thu.

1 Like

Bah! Sorry those delays are so frustrating when everything (including your incredibly organized menu plans) is set to sail.

Any good bbq in Morehead City?

1 Like

And the weather is lining up to be an issue.

I haven’t looked. We have a bunch of food on the boat we are eating through as fast as possible with a plan to reprovision on Thursday or Friday. We aren’t the only ones waiting for weather (see below). In addition to a seriously large motor yacht we have a big commercial shrimper for a temporary neighbor. After talking with them (boat to boat forty feet apart is social distancing, right? grin) we found a gift of a couple of pounds of shrimp sitting on our swim step. Fresh shrimp grilled for dinner last night with our neighbors doing the same on their aft deck.

Yep. Three things: Eta, a big cold front, and a tropical wave. Right now our plan is to leave Saturday morning and head East at 90T to about 65W (or maybe 60W) and then South.

I have to admit that having a shrimper driven in by weather does make me feel pretty confident in waiting.

4 Likes

Looks like you are making good progress. It’s fun to check every day.

Looks like you are in San Juan. Hope all is well.

All is well.

We stopped in Morehead City to resolve some boat issues and frankly because sailing offshore turned out to be more than some crew thought it would be. New crew on board there.

Bad weather from there slowed progress and greatly increased fuel consumption, thus the San Juan stop. Sitting now in Red Hook St Thomas cleaning the boat, cleaning me, and preparing to return home Wednesday afternoon.

I’ll post a wrap-up about food after I’m home.

4 Likes

So I’m dying to know…what was too much for them?

Bashing against bad weather is the pits…absolutely. o argument there.

1 Like

Glad to hear of your safe arrival. The “more than they expected’ comment was kind. I do remember a couple of crew that decided they didn’t like rough sailing a couple of days out. They didn’t turn out to be very helpful.

1 Like

Not offshore but I’m still looking for my kidneys after a 20 mile trip across W. Matagorda Bay in Texas with 25 mph winds and following seas. I’ve taken many a beating in center console bay boats.

There are so many things in a long-haul ocean passage that people decide they cant live with. It’ll be interesting to hear what the reasons were!

(With full respect for your boneshaking trip, bashing upwind in a large sailboat won’t dislodge kidneys…but it can make people kiss dry land when they finally get there)

Glad to hear all is well! Looking forward to full recap at your leisure.