Pizza: Frozen vs. Homemade vs. Pro made

Most of the Italian-Americans I grew up with were Sicilian. They told me that Northern Italians looked down on them. This is a nice website so I won’t elaborate.

2 Likes

My comment was a general one. They probably would have turned up their noses at Chef Boyardee, but I ate many a plate of spaghetti and meatballs in Italian-American homes, which I learned somewhat recently is an American thing, not Italian at all.

And mostly the sauce came from jars, and as for fresh pasta? Never saw that, once, growing up. Always from a box.

1 Like

Probably best not to stereotype Northern or Southern Italians, or any other groups.

PS this is really getting off topic, but they were strictly baseball, football, and basketball fans. If you go into Italian stores in Manhattan’s little Italy, you’ll see posters of soccer stars. I am positive that the guys I grew up with would have looked at you with blank incomprehension if you’d mentioned soccer.

1 Like

Italian immigration to the US ( and Canada) is a multi faceted subject.
The Italian community in KC was almost 100% Sicilian too.
I still remember how different the food was when some St Louisans migrated 250 miles West and brought their Northern Italian food to town and wowed everybody.
Italian American is a whole varied cuisine in itself.

3 Likes

I just had to ask. I am fussy about pizza but I have had frozen in spite of access to well made pizzas. I’m half Italian. :grin:

2 Likes

Polly-O whole milk is the best supermarket brand I can get here in Westchester, NY - ATK recently agreed with me, too! Block only - the pre-shredded stuff is garbage. Biazzo whole milk is not bad, but not as good as Polly-O, IMO. Boar’s Head is good if your deli carries it, but rather expensive.

1 Like

Thanks! Polly-O is pretty much the only brand I know, and I’m sure I’ve had it (just not recently). I’ll give it a try.

1 Like

No, before, on a paper towel, for about 15 minutes. It’s still pretty moist, but not as moist as before. No problems getting the paper off.

This is a great book on the subject.

1 Like

There is plenty of thin crust tavern pizza in Chicago.
Deep dish is a particular Chicago affectation much like Chicken Versuvio, but not the defining element.

1 Like

I prefer fontina on pizza to mozzerella, and Oaxacan to fontina. Just melty goodness.

1 Like

So - don’t you just have when someone starts a story with so? It always means trouble.

I used to make pizzas for a living. This was back in the day when an NJ/NY pizza meant a large, sorta thin crusted pie with tomato sauce and basic toppings. The kind you fold in half to eat. We made the dough, sauce, shredded the cheese daily, etc. I didn’t start out making pies but one Friday afternoon the pie guys went out before the evening rush and didn’t come back in time and in no condition to make a pizza. I was the pie girl from then on. Did it for a few years.

I got so tired of it I didn’t eat pizza for a long time after that. I started to eat pizza again when the more “artisan” style became a thing. I’m still picky about my pizza. In recent years, I’ve taught many pizza making classes.

Now here’s the thing - If I make a pizza at home is it homemade or pro-made?

12 Likes

In fairness you can get a deep dish pizza in New York. I wouldn’t, but you can.

2 Likes

I was wondering how to use the Oaxacan cheese I bought!

1 Like

Both? If a professional chef comes to my house and makes me dinner, it’s not restaurant food, but it is made by a professional chef.

5 Likes

A recent guide…

1 Like

M&Ms are normally out, I’d say, even though I do like them, so that point is well taken…

I have no problem with chicken or pineapple, but I happen to be a shellfish hater.

And if there’s a Prove You’re Dutch pizza with double-salt licorice and pickled herring, I’ll probably make a different choice - even if they add chocolate sprinkles too. :slight_smile:

But most pizzas that are normally popular choices and don’t involve shellfish are fine with me.

So no New Haven clam pie for you!

6 Likes