Pita bread recipes

I’m looking for a good pita bread recipe. The ones I’ve bought always seem kind of dry and stale to me. Would love to see your favorites. Thanks!

My go-to:

2 ¼ tsp yeast
1 tsp sugar
½ c warm water + 1 c warm water
3 c AP flour
1 ¼ tsp salt

Dissolve yeast and sugar in a half cup of warm water and let the mixture sit until the water is frothy. Combine flour and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer. Add yeast water and the additional cup of warm water and mix with the beater attachment until combined. Change to the dough hook and knead the dough until it forms a smooth ball, about 10:00.

Coat a large bowl with vegetable oil. Roll the dough in the oil, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set it in a warm place until the dough has doubled in size. Preheat the oven to 425 with baking steel on lowest rack. Roll the dough out in a rope and pinch off 10 small pieces. Fold each piece in on itself until it forms a ball, set on a floured board and rest, covered, for 10:00.

Roll out each ball of dough with a rolling pin into circles about 6 inches across and ¼ inch thick and let sit, covered, for 30:00. Bake each circle top side down for two minutes or until it puffs up, whichever comes first. Turn over and bake one minute more. Remove to a plate and cover with a cloth. When cool, place in storage bags.

4 Likes

These are pretty good…

1 Like

My favorite soft wrap-style pita recipe is from Olga’s Kitchen restaurant

My favorite pocket-style pita recipe is from Milk Street (regrettably behind a paywall).

1 Like

Have tried various recipes for pita breads from that of Bake Off judge Paul Hollywood to Jamie Oliver but the most successful I have found at the moment is from Kitty and Al Tait’s wonderful book Breadsong.

The book is testament to the healing power of baking as Kitty was in deep depression and anxiety at age 14 but baking some bread with her father Al started to improve her mental health. Now the two of them run The Orange Bakery in Watlington in Oxfordshire with queue down the HIgh Street forming before the shop is open.

2 Likes

ChainBaker has a couple of Recipes for Pita both Pocket and Non. He also has a Cold Ferment Method.
Great explanations and solid science

2 Likes

This one works without much fuss – but I roll them thinner. (If I was going to make extra, I’d use tangzhong or yogurt to keep them soft the next day.)

3 Likes

Thanks, everyone! Lots of good-sounding options. I’ve made several recipes from Alexandra’s Kitchen so I may start there. :grinning:

Found a non-paywall link for the Milk Street recipe:

3 Likes

@Saregama when you say to use yogurt, do you mean instead of the water? (Non-baker, obv.)

As part of the total liquid - a tbsp or two of yogurt is probably enough.

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like