Piperade

I couldn’t find a thread so I thought I’d start one. My peppers plants are looking better than my tomato plants right now.

For NYT subscribers . I’m not stumping for NYT but it is one of my go to’s!

I’m sticking this escalivida recipe in here as well.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Any thoughts @Barca ?

1 Like

It is served here as a tapa in traditional Basque owned bars and Basque Restaurants.

They have a hint of “heat” … NOT heavy duty pungent, hot spice …

The 1st article posted has a lovely recipe for the Piperade. Each Basque region has their own take on the dish … (Vizcaya, Donastia, Álava) … As far as the French Basque Country, we were in Biarritz, which is a lovely coastal resort area.

My mother makes a dish with the Piquillo Red Peppers, a small pointy shaped Esplette and stuffs them with lobster or crab meat … They do export these to North America and they come in jars or tins (cans). They may be stuffed with crab or tuna salad.

However, if you are looking for “heat” - you should get the AIR DRIED GUINDILLAS which are in any Latin American Grocery …

And crumble them in your dishes of choice.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this @shrinkrap. My CSA box this week has a lot of green peppers (which I’m not a huge fan of) and a friend dropped of a few varieties of red peppers. Piperade sounds like a great way to use them.

1 Like

Thank you!

I have visited there! It was beautiful. I think that is where I spoke to a gentleman in Spanish, and he looked quite angry. We were with a guide who told me that is not well received there.

I remember coming back and planting piquillos for years.

They seemed spicier than typically described, I loved them, and I saved the seed, but I had a very difficult time peeling them, even after finding some articles about doing it. I also remember coveting the dried espelette. Heat would be nice, but I need to use the peppers I have. I think I have dried guajillo peppers, but not air-dried guandilas. I’ll have to look those up.

4 Likes

Please post if you make it! I think there is another pepper recipe I’ve made in the past but haven’t remembered the name.

2 Likes

Biarritz is French and Basque speaking. However, he was a bitter chap and as tourists, most people in Biarritz speak English. These type of people are who they are ! Very ugly way to treat tourists visiting.

Biarritz is not Spain … It is France …

IT IS VERY BEAUTIFUL AND YOUR PHOTOS ARE AMAZING.

1 Like

GUINDILLAS not guandillas.

They sell them in Latin Markets … They are air dried and tiny horn shaped “heat” peppers and are common in GAMBAS AL AJILLO … (Red prawns with garlic and Guindillas) served in earthenware.
Common Spanish Tapa.

1 Like

Peperonata!

3 Likes

Cool ideas for the sweet red peppers.

1 Like

Another idea.

1 Like

Spain´s growers do this too and sells them in jars. Big export too …

1 Like
1 Like

Pipperade vs peperonata according to cuisine fiend.

1 Like

All the veg are charred or roasted.I think I will cook this further.

Made shakshuka/menemen.

2 Likes

I forgot about caponata!

First pipperade/peperonata of the season!

1 Like