Pioneer Woman Ree Drummond opens restaurant in Oklahoma

Kind of has a Paula Deen thing going on.
http://bit.ly/2gD8Sx1

I REALLY find it tacky when people open a restaurant that involves a full gift shop.

I personally would never go to such a restaurant as Ree Drummond is just a good home cook, as far as I’m concerned. Nothing she does is so mind blowing.

Prototype for a chain, maybe?

3 Likes

She is popular around the country, but in that part of the world she is a phenomenon. If she builds it, they will come…
By the way, some of her recipes we’ve tried here on the East Coast were quite good.

1 Like

I’ve tried a couple of her recipes and have been pleased. Her Cajun Chicken Pasta is a a favorite with my kids. I like that she’s heavy handed with the spices – she’s not afraid to add a punch to her food. Of course, she’s from LA, so that probably influences her cooking style as well.

She posted previously on Instagram (I think) that she styled the Mercantile around the old fashioned Mercantiles, where people could pick up groceries and eat a meal before returning home. In her case, she did a bakery/cafe, and then the gift shop sells the plates and stuff she uses in the cafe (her own line). I can’t fault her for that. It’s not like she’s selling birthday cards and magnets.

2 Likes

You know I read about her and all the fanfare back on Chowhound so I actually sought out her show to see what all the fuss was about. This particular episode was about “roast beef sandwiches” for her son’s and husbands lunch. Literally an entire episode surrounding how to make a roast beef sandwich, I kid you not. The most in-depth portion of the episode was the horseradish spread she put on the sandwich. SPOILER ALERT ((it was horseradish and sour cream))

I was dumbfounded. I agree completely she seems to be a great “home cook” and from what they are proposing it seems like a Cracker Barrel competitor, which there is probably room for some competition.

1 Like

Hmm… I just googled this because I remembered seeing a roast beef sandwich episode and I remember her making multiple things. I found two episodes. I saw the football camp one, but not the other one. But in both, she’s making other things besides the sandwiches.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/the-pioneer-woman/600-series/football-camp.html
http://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/the-pioneer-woman/600-series/make-ahead-marvels.html

Football Fruit. She made little baggies of Football Fruit.

She grew up in Oklahoma. She moved to Los Angeles to go to USC.

Her food is nice for people that want to cook and feed their families, but don’t know how, or are disinclined, or are stuck in a rural/suburban/Good Housekeeping rut. I understand her appeal. This is America and not everyone has a taco truck on every corner, yet. :wink:

3 Likes

For little kids to have as a snack at their football game. Not for adults. It was Food Network’s choice to add it to the website as a “recipe” though.

I used to make little bags of fruit for my kids’ soccer games too. We aren’t allowed to bring junk food – had to be a healthy snack. Everyone usually brought fruit and some string cheese.

My apologies if it wasn’t the entire episode however it was and incredibly long storyline on how to make a sandwich. After watching it I probably just changed the channel after seeing enough of what the show offered.

It’s not that I’m suggesting the food wouldn’t be good.

When I go out to eat, I want to get something I couldn’t/wouldn’t make for myself. Her food sounds like something I’d jot down off Pinterest after work to throw together for dinner by 1830.

I certainly wouldn’t be standing in line for two hours for it.

Okay, that makes sense. What brilliant assistant at FN thought Football Fruit is a recipe? Too funny.

1 Like

I believe you are missing her point. In her part of the country, rural Oklahoma, work in the kitchen is a bit simpler. It is their sensibility. No foam, no deconstructed stuff, no molecular gastronomy…just straightforward good food.

4 Likes

Yah, I always got annoyed when Mario Batali or Bobby Flay pull out the iSi whipper.

1 Like

I’d kinda’ like to see Bobby Flay throwdown
out of his element . Rural Oklahoma might bring a bit of humility and humanity to the guy. Onion burgers at 10 paces.

He did a “throw down” locally to me and he actually lost to a local chef. I think it was either crab cakes or gumbo I don’t remember which. FWIW I have no use for Flay.

2 Likes

I don’t read her blog, but I can easily understand why it’s so popular. She’s a photographer and there are a lot of pictures - I think she was one of the first to use that many photos on a food blog. Also her writing is quite funny and she comes across as down to earth, unpretentious and likeable. The food is everyday home cooking and again did I mention the photos? Step by step starting with all the ingredients.

Her TV show on the other hand baffles me because it is dull and hard to watch. She’s not a natural on camera, whoever is doing the writing is not as funny as Ree herself, and that giant TV house and kitchen kind of display some of the realities of her life that her blog doesn’t mention - that she’s married to a millionaire who owns quite a chunk of Oklahoma, thus not quite an everyday Oklahoma farm wife.

2 Likes

She’s a very nice, rich lady, but she became dead to me the moment I saw her use Campbell’s Pork and Beans in a baked bean recipe. Nothing against Campbell’s Pork and Beans, but just no, not in a baked bean dish.

1 Like

While I’m a food lover and love to cook myself, I stop short of nitrogen-enriched foam and tweasered flowers. I don’t find Ree Drummond’s cooking to be exciting, or even interesting, but think the vast majority of Americans are just ‘ordinary folk’ who eat ‘ordinary’ food. What she cooks is what I’d think most people watching her show eat. I didn’t need to witness the past few weeks in the US to understand that the vast majority of people in this country are not like my neighbors in the LA area… on most levels.

3 Likes