PHODown Vietnam Bistro Howell [NJ] Feb 9

I was invited to share in @MsBean and the sprout’s B18 Banh Hoi Thit Nuong & Nem Nuong, which I will ABSOLUTELY order again. @seal directed us to the grilled pork in general, and it didn’t disappoint! The ‘meatballs’ were sliced up–you can see them in the (terrible) photo I snapped before we demolished it all. :rofl: #AGirl’sGottaEat

I also had a small bowl of pho–with the grilled pork–and added vegetables (cabbage, broccoli, and salad). It was one of the best pho broths I’ve ever had and I WILL be back.

Finally, I took home their ‘house’ banh mi, which I had for dinner. Banh MEH is right, @msbean . Totally underwhelming. Next time I might try the grilled pork one—or go the dish @BossaNova had, which used to be called Bistro Beef–the menu is now all Vietnamese names, so he asks for that. Very similar to a chow fun and very tasty!

2 Likes

We had the classic which is like the Italian Sub of Bahn Mi. To me their classic was from Subway rather than a local sub shop. Based on your description of the Grilled Pork Bahn Mi, I brought one home for Mr. Bean but he hasn’t eaten it yet.

@CurlzNJ Have you had yours yet? What did you think?

1 Like

See above!!”

Oops! I am such a ditz!

Not a word is EVER use to describe you! I just wanted you to see that I stole your perfect name for it… :grin:

1 Like

I share sentiments that House Special Banh Mi was below expectations. Company was great and I give credit to the establishment to accommodate all of us spontaneously and comfortably.

5 Likes

It was great to finally meet you and the Mrs.!! You point out something that I should have mentioned which is how great the service actually was. Not only did the food flow out of the kitchen, they accommodated our “separate check” request, yet still fed us and served us as a group. Kudos to them!

5 Likes

As an outsider Bostonian, I was like “NJ crew, at our Boston chowdowns, last hound to show up had to report in full.” Not just, hey nice to see friendly faces/pleasantries. Just as @joonjoon asked for, honest food reports.

No competition here from this Boston Onion…well, maybe some friendly competition. :wink:

3 Likes

What a showing! Nicely done folks…a new HO nj record
:trophy:

3 Likes

Man that’s a shame, the classic ham/pate banh mi is so hard to mess up, I don’t think I’ve ever had a meh one in my life!

How does the pho compare to the other shops in the area? :smiley:

I have to say that the broth was one of THE BEST I’ve ever had. Anywhere. Seriously–worth taking a ride! And the B18 Banh Hoi Thit Nuong & Nem Nuong is worth the trip as well.

1 Like

The first problem was NO PATE!!! It makes the sandwich for me. The pickled veggies were skimpy in quantity and flavor. I got a bite of Mr Bean’s grilled pork sandwich and even a day old it was much better than the classic.

All things considered I like the Pho at Pho Viet Express best. It seems the best balanced overall. Unfortunately they don’t do Banh Mi. They do have shrimp toast which is delish and totally unlike shrimp toast in your run-of-the-mill Chinese restaurant.

1 Like

My daughter is a pho maniac and we have tried all the options nearby. She and I both proclaim that Vietnam Bistro has the best broth. The subtle hint of spices is unmatched. As for everything else, I love the grilled pork, their wings are very good, as are their rolls, both fried and not.

3 Likes

Our old Pho Da Nang menu was from 2014, but prices had held pretty steady for several years after that. After a three-year hiatus, I compared the current prices. (I can’t figure out how to add the diacritical marks.)

The Xe Lua (first pho entry went from $8.50 to $12.95. Canned soda went from $1.50 to $1.95. Two summer rolls went from $4.95 to $6.95. Other price increases are similar to these (I’m not going through all of them!). Several items have been dropped from various categories (e.g., there are now only 18 pho options instead of 23).

The pho is still great, though.

1 Like

I need to have some pho.

Based on “recent” experience, I want to say Pho 99 in Eatontown is a much better bowl than Pho Da Nang, but it’s been a while!! I need some pho in my life.

1 Like