PHODown Vietnam Bistro Howell [NJ] Feb 9

When Mark and I went to our first Chowdown, we wore nametags and got called “Mr. and Mrs. Nametag”. Now it’s a thing.

1 Like

Have fun everyone! Looking forward to some great pics and stories of the usual star of the event, Greg.

3 Likes

Great meeting everyone!
Looking forward to next one!

6 Likes

I’m finally home and want to say thanks to @seal for making the arrangements—that was a really great lunch with lots of good company! I’m thrilled to know there’s such delicious pho within reach and I’m always happy to see my buds, but it was nice to have some new faces with us as well!

4 Likes

Tyvm to all who came! We had seventeen people there setting a new HODown record. There were so many of us that they had to open a new restaurant to accommodate us all. :grin:

Seriously, it was great and I had a lot of fun talking with all the HOs. The food was good too, but I knew that.

7 Likes

A big thank you to Seal for coordinating and to so many people for showing up. It was great to see old and new HOs. I was especially glad @gcaggiano could make it another HO Down. Next time please bring Justin.

11 Likes

Always the star of the show.

2 Likes

My first HO Down. So much fun. Good company, good food, Thanks Seal for arranging.

2 Likes

Great lunch & get-together! Finally got to meet some HOs.

2 Likes

I really enjoyed meeting the group & the food was :+1:. Thanks for arranging it!

4 Likes

Look who’s got her own account! :clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2:

2 Likes

:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

What a beautiful group of people!! Sorry I missed it! Any comments on the food?

1 Like

Tip of the hat to Mr. @seal for organizing this event, the largest to date! Great to see so many new faces; @Wizard2 @Wizard2DW @sprout (@MsBean) @Oldandtired @sndishpr (and friend) and so many old regulars like seal and @BossaNova and @eleeper last but not least, @CurlzNJ. (thank you for the paella pan!!)

The food was excellent as well as the company! Pho - is not my thing per say but this was truly a delicious broth and pork chop was very good as well. A wonderful afternoon with great people and one again a surprise guest with @gcaggiano !!! Always good seeing you buddy.

4 Likes

6 Likes

I’d like to add that @NotJrvedivici wasn’t nearly as serious as he looks in the picture and that it was great seeing everyone, especially Greg!

1 Like

So far as I could tell, most people didn’t seem to get pho.

For those further north, I recommend Pho Da Nang in Sayreville, on Route 9 south between Bordentown and Ernston Roads. They have a bigger (and cheaper) pho selection, and are just as good.

1 Like

We had:
B18 Banh Hoi Thit Nuong & Nem Nuong
Rice vermicelli patties with grilled pork grilled meatball with fresh lettuce, top with peanut - very good. The thin rice noodles were made into a wrap of sorts with pickled veggies inside. The pork was very good though I wouldn’t think of it as meatballs. I may be interrupting the menu incorrectly.

P1 Pho Dac Biet - House Special Beef Noodle Soup
Combination rice noodles beef soup with fresh eye of round, brisket, tender (sic). - Very well-flavored broth but the meat was just ok and the tender (tendon) was more like shredded tripe.

Banh Mi Dac Biet
House Special Sandwich - This Banh Mi was a big Banh Meh. Light on meat and veggies, no mayo, jalapeños or liver pate.

2 Likes

Welcome!

I had a Banh Mi as well!! I’m not sure which one it was but it was pretty good for a sandwich, not sure how it was as a Bahn Mi though!!! lol

1 Like