Pho in Monmouth County

After a very mediocre experience at Miss Saigon, I was wondering where’s a decent Vietnamese place.
I’m familiar with Ramen places but limited menus preclude me bringing my companion who is not as adventurous as I am

I’m not going to be much help, but concur regarding the pho at Miss Saigon. The pho at Vietnam Bistro in Howell was very good pre-ownership change, but no longer the same. Pho 99 in Eatontown has been praised on HO, but I haven’t been there myself.

2 Likes

Thanks

I’ve only been a couple of times but I remember liking Pho 99 on Route 36 in Eatontown. We’d probably go more often except our favorite place makes this great shrimp toast I’ve only ever seen there.

2 Likes

Thank you

1 Like

I am by no means a “pho” expert, but Pho 99 has been very enjoyable on each of my half dozen or so visits.

1 Like

I am familiar with 3 spots in Monmouth (well one slightly out of Monmouth). I only order the dac biet combination pho.

Best: Pho 99
Second: Pho Le
Third: Pho Da Nang

Disclaimer: I haven’t been to Pho99 in a couple years.

But if you like big menus and trying new Viet dishes Pho Da Nang is easily #1.

My tips: always get the rare beef on the side, always ask for nuoc beo (extra fat on the side) and drizzle some in your soup as you go.

8 Likes

Thanks

Thank you

1 Like

Where is Pho Le? The one I frequented in Red Bank closed years ago. I was devastated!

Oops!! Sorry I got the name mixed up, the restaurant is actually called Pho 34 but it’s the same people who used to run Pho Le. It’s in Matawan. A word of warning, this place has maybe the worst ambiance of any restaurant I’ve been to. And don’t get me wrong I love trashy old shitty restaurant vibes, this place has more of a ghost feel. But the pho is pretty solid and they have the best hot sauce in the business.

I too was sad when Pho le shut down as their fried rolls and super bowl were my favorite things anywhere. The new place has the super bowl so I’m excited to go back and try!

@Ragtopssk I got the name wrong!

3 Likes

Yay! Pho 34 has the Saigon crepe!

2 Likes

We tried Pho Da Nang a couple weeks ago. I was not impressed at all.

1 Like

Thanks. Saves a needless trip

Do we need a (wait for it…) pHOdown?!?

4 Likes

ABSOLUTELY! We Need A HO Down!

2 Likes

Yes I agree the pho at PDN is definitely a measurable step down from the other places. But it’s also a few bucks cheaper so I guess it’s a getting your moneys worth kind of thing.

And @MsBean @CurlzNJ I’d love to do some kind of Vietnamese HOdown! I think it might be better to try a place like Pho Da Nang and try a bunch of dishes we’ve never had before though, going to a restaurant and everyone getting their own Pho is like not super exciting hehe. Or we can do a pHO crawl, drive around to a bunch of places and try all the Phos!

1 Like

Let us know how it is if you try it!!

Hey Jr thought of you watching this video. I eat exactly the way this guy does, IMO that’s the best way to enjoy pho. https://youtu.be/0oPQakBkyIY?t=525

2 Likes

Ok Joon you have proven to me I need a Pho-mentor and I’m requesting you to be him. I obviously have much to learn master a one day this grasshopper will make you proud.

I drink the broth first then once I drain the swamp I eat the meat and noodles.

Let’s seriously do a Bro-Pho-Ho-Down-Fo-Sho. I’m up or down for it. (ok ok ok girls too)

@CurlzNJ - @MsBean - @joonjoon @gracieggg
One of you responsible people get on this please!

I suggest Pho 99 - it’s good, clean nice space in my opinion! Someone pick a date and start a thread.

3 Likes