Petty, paring--or something in between

Hi Vecchiouomo,

None of the European manufacturers have petty knives or utility knives. The 6" olive handle Sab at Flotsam and Fork is a Chef’s knife with that profile. The German knives do the same thing.

My Shun 6" utility profile is different from the Shun 8" gyuto profile–completely different. It’s narrow. The Sakai Takayuki 6" petty knife has the same profile as their gyuto. In that way, it’s sort of emulating the Europeans throwback approach.

Neither of them would fit in my fusion oriented batterie.

Hi Ray,

This is incorrect.

I own this 14 cm Zwilling Pro Utility knife with the olive wood handle. Made & designed in Germany.

1 Like

A petty knife in a Japanese lineup is essentially a knife that is smaller than a gyuto and larger than a paring knife but has the gyuto profile. You may call the 6" Sab a small chef’s knife, but it is in essence the French version of a petty knife as Claus’s example provides the German alternative.

2 Likes

Hi Claus,

All the European manufacturers make 6" knives, but the profile and the steel used is different from a petty or even a Japanese utility knife. I’ve tried to explain above.

Seemingly without success. So have I.

Hi Vecchiouomo,

The intention is quite different–as is the expression… It’s not what I call it, it’s what they design.

My Kai Shun 6" is different from all the others.

If your Kai is the utility, it has a narrower profile and does not align with what the Japanese would consider a petty. If it is their 6" chef, it fits. Petty, from the French petite, is a shortcut for petti naifu, appropriation by Japanese of English and French to designate a smaller version of a gyuto.

2 Likes

Correct,

Japanese petty knives are similar as you’ve described–that’s why I call them “throwbacks.”

That’s the whole point. Kai Shun is a fusion knife between American and Japanese ideas. I’ve laid out those differences in great detail above.

That’s why I’m interested in Shun.

“I… was surprised to see so many relative newbies posting as experts…”

!!

1 Like

Hi Ray,

Then what is this 14 cm Zwilling knife, if it isn’t a petty or utility knife ?

It’s a European utility knife. My Kai Shun is quite different.

In that case you’re also incorrect when you stated this:

A European utility knife is just as much a utility knife as an Asian utility knife.

3 Likes

Maybe, but I did this comparison to show how different both of them are from my Japanese-American Kai Shun 6".

This is not really true… :slight_smile:

A petty does not need to have a specific steel - as others have pointed out it’s just a shape. And then even the shape can be different among Japanese makers, from very narrow and flat, to a petty with more of a curve.

I have two Japanese petty knives, one flat and narrow and the other more like a mini gyuto.

In fact the Sabatier Tim is suggesting is - like the Robert Herder I always go on and on about - a very fusion knife. As it has the typical gyuto narrow shape (in fact it’s likely some Japanese makers took the Sabatier profile as the blueprint for gyutos).

5 Likes

Amen! It is a skewed view of Japanese petty knives, or Japanese knives in general, as being exclusively made of the very high hardness so often touted. What were they made of before Aogami and VG10? Probably other common steels, including somewhat softer stainless and carbon. The notion of a utility knife is also being twisted a bit. Are the oval blades with deep serrations on one side utility knives, or are their makers engaging in false advertising? To me it is simply a knife between a chef or gyuto and a parer, something in the middle that can handle larger jobs and smaller jobs but not as deft as a parer designed for fluting mushrooms or a chef’s knife that is used to cube a shoulder for a braise or stew. Interestingly, while they are often evocative of Japanese knives, Shuns are often traditional western knives in reality. While I am on this reverie, I find calling a serrated blade a single bevel, even if it is, odd. It is first and foremost serrated. It cuts nothing like a true single bevel deba or yanagiba. It is made to chew, not glide, through things.

4 Likes

In my head, I do consider an utility knife very similar to a petty knife. The main difference for me is that: most utility knives have little knuckle clearance, and most petty knives have knuckle clearance.

Despite the length, I think an utility knife as a longer version of a paring knife. Whereas, I think of a petty knife as a shorter version of a chef knife.

2 Likes

Again, stop making sense and popping balloons! You’re giving HO knife discussions a good name, dammit.

1 Like

Laughing emoji.

1 Like

If this is true, then my Zwilling 14 cm utility knife is indeed a petty knife, as it has a little knuckle clearance and looks like a mini chefs knife, in fact more a mini Gyutoh knife if you ask me.

2 Likes

If so, then it is a petty for me. In fact, in my mind, a petty knife is a subset of utility knife.

2 Likes