Peter Luger given a -0- stars review by NY Times..........(can't say I blame them)

One of my first flights from St. Kitt’s to Nevis was on a nine passenger plane. The passengers were me and a bunch of goats, with their feet tied together so they didn’t get into any mischief. I did get to sit in the co-pilot’s seat, at least.

5 Likes

I seem to remember the pilot saying “close the door behind you!”, but I don’t think that really happened.

1 Like

To me, that’s from one end of the county to the other, all technically SF bay area, but not what most think of.

1 Like

It absolutely could have happened. That plane was like a car that somehow was able to leave the ground.

1 Like

Apologies if off topic but since Hawksmoor in NYC (and its grill) was mentioned a few times this showed up in my recommendations today:

1 Like

So many Europeans I know tend to make these broad claims about the US based on such limited knowledge-- limited visits to specific regions-- it’s exhausting. I’m sure its cultural exports have something to do with those claims, but so many are misguided.

Of course, I say ‘Europeans’ when I’m speaking mostly about Brits, Belgians, French, Bulgarians, Italians, and maybe a handful of others… It’s more that the broad brushstrokes don’t help from any quadrant.

1 Like

Similar to those Americans who visit London and think they’ve visited the UK.
Or Barcelona, Paris or Rome…

Do we not pretty much all base our comments on very limited experience and, of course, our understanding of national stereotypes.

3 Likes

Lots of sweeping statements, it’s human nature!
I used to be the person on the Germany board telling people to try the soups and salads in Germany. It’s not all about the würst and schnitzel. I’ve been to Germany over a dozen times, and rarely choose to eat sausage while I’m there. I also avoid croissants in France. Èclairs and Kouign Amann all the way! I also rarely choose to eat pizza or bagels in NYC.

2 Likes

Maybe, but I wonder if some are more sensitive about stereotypes than others.

2 Likes

Certainly I am. Back in the old Chowhound days, I could get quite irate on its UK board over stereotypical comments about British food by visitors who had never ventured outside of London’s central touristy area. I know I should have brushed them off as obtuse remarks from ignorant people who knew no better but I really did find it hard to let such remarks pass unchallenged.

3 Likes

I seem to recall a discussion about UK vs Great Britain and maybe England that you participated in. I learned a lot from that discussion.

2 Likes

I can’t recall a specific discussion but I do have a tendency to get a bit peeved when folk refer to England when they actually mean the whole country. It’s as though someone kept referring to Texas when they meant the USA.

I hope the discussion you recall didnt get into the overly pedantic about how, say, the Isle of Man or Guernsey fit into the description. Clue - they sort of do and they don’t.

3 Likes

Not overly. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Ya left out Jersey! Or as its called around here, Joisee.

I recall back in the pre-GFC days lots of my co-workers who were UK citizens set up various Jersey trusts into which much of their compensation was paid to minimize taxes. Unfortunately if you are a US citizen working overseas, none of that works and instead you have to hire lots of tax experts just to do your basic taxes.

A few of my German relatives who visited us in Canada after the wall came down boiled Canada down to one thing, something they found in the interior of BC, in Alberta, in Saskatchewan and in Ontario.

One thing that America also claims as its own.

Apple pie.

That’s what they asked for. Coffee and apple pie. When one of the same relatives visited 2 more times, in 2000 and in 2009, that was his request. Apple pie.

2 Likes

Interesting! FWIW, I don’t too many apples are grown in California, at least commercially.
I do like Gravensteins!
I don’t recall eating much apple pie, except maybe one from McDonald’s. Didn’t they have apple pie?

1 Like

Apples,in CA. Sebastapol , Forestville Highway 80 has or used to have a couple of roadside stands selling apple pies.

FWIW, Vacaville used to be a walnut growing center.

2 Likes

And they are back! We have a new commercial orchard nearby, and I heard the grower was in Japan.

2 Likes

Have you wondered why there is a Nut Tree area?

My family farmed walnuts North of Highway 80, maybe you live in the area?

1 Like