Perusa Route 33/34, Wall

We went to Perusa last night. It was my first meal out since I broke my ankle (and am using a knee scooter or wheelchair - it was easy to maneuver around on the scooter and they were very accommodating).

I decided to get the Pollo a Las Brasas since I was thinking about this thread we hadn’t tried it before. This is the 1/2 chicken served with fries and salad.

B112254D-8C5F-4D64-9F7E-E910E161E71A_1_201_a

Sorry for the less than stellar picture - there was a lot of food on the table and I had a hard time getting a good angle. In addition to the chicken we had the Anticucho (beef hearts), Choros a la Chalaca (mussels), and the Orgia de Mariscos (yellow rice with seafood) Everything was delicious though Mr Bean the the green rice version (Arroz a la Chiclayana con Mariscos) is better than the yellow rice one he got.

It was nice to see the place pretty crowded the whole time we were there (~6:45 - 8:15). There were several large family groups coming in as we were leaving.

5 Likes

@MsBean The chicken looks really good and just like my favorite from Don Pepe

2 Likes

It was very good though a little salty for me (I’m somewhat salt adverse). Mr Bean loved it.

1 Like

Oops. That should be salt averse

(I’m sure you caught that @CurlzNJ)

Nope! Read it on my phone without glasses :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Stopped in this evening.
GF Ceviche with Calamari excellent Ceviche Tilapia so I passed.
Me Whole Fried Snapper. I wanted to try something different. This was OK but not much to it. Should have stuck with my usuals Chicharron or Tacu Tacu Bistec.
Love the Rocoto sauce here. So easy to make too.

5 Likes

I totally agree about the whole fried snapper. It was perfectly adequate but nothing special. There are much better options.

There is a dish available on weekends called Caja De China ($35), Box of/from China. We saw it too late to order. They cook what sounds like a Pork Shoulder outside in a grill/box that they top with charcoal. It is cooked for 4-5 hours and only available weekends after 2-3 pm when it is ready.
GF described crispness so thinking it is a dry cooked method with whatever marinade/seasoning. Next weekend is Peru Independence Day so would probably avoid unless you are into that kind of thing. If you are better to go to Paterson.
So far would recommend Perusa not only for Pollo ala Brasa but in general. Wish they offered other fish fir ceviche than Tilapia.

3 Likes

Thank you for the info on the Caja de China. I’ve never noticed it and we are usually go on the weekend. I’ll make special point of asking the next time we are there.

Is there a particular Peruvian neighborhood in Paterson? I am only familiar with the the stretch of Main Street which is primarily Turkish, Lebanese, and other Middle Eastern countries.

1 Like

My brief comment is that if there’s a Caja de China, EAT WHAT’S INSIDE. I’ve been to pig roasts where these were used, so I speak from experience. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I fully predict that one of you HOs or one of your loved ones will kill me for posting this, but if you don’t know what a Caja de China is, here are the deets!

3 Likes

I will absolutely NOT be showing this to Mr Bean

1 Like

I’ve done a caja china roast before! Can’t find the pics unfortunately. :frowning: They are fun!

1 Like

Area of Market and Cianci is called Peru Square.
For baked goods try Tana’s on Cianci. Los Immortales on Market is also good. For Pollo ala Brasa we go to the Lena Y Carbon further down by the Peruvian Embassy. There are other locations but GF says this is the best.

2 Likes

I’ve been traveling back and forth to Boston a lot recently and will often stop in Paterson to shop and eat on my way home. I almost cant wait to make the trek again to try out these places. Thanks

2 Likes

LOL MrsBean I make a similar pit stop some times when I go to Boston too! Have you been here? It’s great https://www.yelp.com/biz/the-hot-grill-clifton

Also do a Corrados stop too. Do you have any Paterson recs?

1 Like

I’ve never been to the Hot Grill but will add it to my list of places to try.
My go tos for shopping in Paterson are Fattals, Brother’s Produce and of Corrado’s. For restaurants we tend to go to Toro’s and Star Pide. We used to go to Al-Basha on Main St but that location is now takeout only and there is a dine in place somewhere on Crooks (we haven’t been there yet).

3 Likes

We went to Perusa Saturday. I’m not sure why but Mr Bean decided to make reservation. It turned out to be fortuitous as it was their 2 year anniversary and everyone was partying. There was music, dancers, mascots in costumes (a gerbil not ironically) and lots of fun.

Based on @KAOSKitchen’s suggestion I asked about the Caja China as soon as we sat down. They had it and I ordered it. Delicious! The meat was kind of a cross between pork belly and a rib. Meltingly tender with a super crispy top. Served with boiled sweet potatoes, fried white potatoes and pickled onions.

Mr Bean had Juane con Gallina - rice, chicken, and an egg wrapped in banana leaves and steamed. It was served with white beans, plantains, and pickled onions. Perusa has a picture of the dish and their Instagram feed which has a chicken leg sticking out of the ball of rice and the egg stuck in the middle, making the whole thing look somewhat like a pregnant bird. Juane is one of Peru’s main dishes and is traditionally eaten on the feast day of St John the Baptist.

8 Likes

That brown on the rib looks amazing!!! If you think about it pork belly and (spare) ribs are basically the same meat! Just look at your own belly and front rib section for reference hehe.

2 Likes

It was really good. Of course when I look at myself I see more belly than rib.

Either way you look scrumptious!!

2 Likes