Peppers. Drying

Focusing on Aji Amarillo, but also drying hot,sweet, and seasoning peppers.

Anyone else drying or preserving peppers?

3 Likes

I’ve found aji amarillo taste better chopped and frozen if you’re using for pollo a la brasa or anywhere else the unique frutiness shines. Reconstituted powder isn’t even remotely the same.

2 Likes

Okay, thanks! I’m going to have so much of the “baby Amarillo” I won’t have enough freezer space. Do you know any good uses for dried or powder? Or maybe a preserve.

1 Like

Just sat down after slicing up poblanos for the dehydrator! After drying I powder it in a coffee grinder. I use in sauces and beans all winter.

3 Likes

Those are ripe poblanos, or still green? I won’t have red ones for awhile, but I use them for pepper jelly.

2 Likes

Here is a recipe for aji amarillo paste.

1 Like

Green poplanos. Just took them out of dehydrator. Will have to get a before and after pic next time. Whole tray filled with slices ended up as about 1/4 cup of little dried bits.

2 Likes

just got my fiesta 8 tray dehydrator, planned to use it for tomatoes mainly
Have not used it yet but tomato harvest is now dwindling
Have poblanos now
Wish y have before and after picture and some tips

2 Likes

I plan another batch in the morning. Will try the before and after pics.
I did nothing to them before dehydrating other than wash, clean and slice.

2 Likes

Before and after poblanos.

2 Likes

son dehydrated some tomatoes and poblano(/) Monday evening
He did this while I was already sleeping and told me he brushed them with olive oil
Took it out last night, but it seems they are not that dry?
How long does it take you to dehydrate?
I still have not put them away as I asked him if he is done and did he want me to separate the tomatoes from the poblanos? and there was no comment. So, the tray he took out, I sorted what I thought was tomatoes. left everything in place. Very disappointed as not that great it seems.

1 Like

I am experimenting with “silk-cutting” some Turkish peppers.

Maras, ufra, Feher Ozon, and???

2 Likes

I wonder if the oil inhibited the dehydration. Might work better to use the oil after?

2 Likes

thanks. I will let him know

1 Like

esplette1

Basque Esplette Red Chili Peppers.
Heat: Light however, a bit of kick !

Used in Basque Cuisine.

3 Likes

I looked for those when I was there! Are they used crushed?

1 Like

Do you have to peel them first? The sauce recipes seem to say peel first but these are small.

1 Like

Esplette:

1. You can purchase them “air dried” in glass jars
  2. They are not peeled …
  3. They work splendidly with Deviled Eggs, Baked Potato, French Omelette and Salad Dressings.

They are light however, have a kick of heat and are slightly aromatic as they are in the Capscium
Family.

So, if you buy them air dried, just “crumble the tiny Esplette” …

Trying to decide between a fermented hot sauce, and a more traditional Aji Amarillo paste or sauce. Some of the aji Amarillo sauce and paste recipes mention blanching and peeling, but the "baby amarillo"seem too small to fiddle with peeling.

I have two very early and prolific plants I think are “baby”, and three others, maybe Grande", or maybe what I call regular, two grown in soil (1gallon and 5 gallon), and one grown in water, “kratky” style. I think the one gallon in soil makes tiny peppers, but mature a darker orange.

Here is one of the ideas I found for starting a fermented sauce.

https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/c…lic-hot-sauce/

I like that it allows for plenty of procrastination.

1 Like

Spice Hunting: Aji Amarillo

1 Like