[Penang, Malaysia] Rosie's Vadai at Market Cross

Rosie’s Vadai stall on Lintang Pasar (Market Cross), near the junction with Nambyar Street, has the lightest & crispiest vadai I’d ever tasted in George Town, if not anywhere in Malaysia! It just has to be tasted to be believed. I’ve had vadais of this quality in good restaurants in Chennai (e.g. Murugan’s Idli Kadai, Saravanaa Bhavan, etc.) but hard to find in Malaysia or Singapore. In Tamil language, it’s also called medu vadai or ulunthu vadai.

Rosie has been operating her street cart at this spot for the last 15 years, and has gained quite a following among the locals. She prepares her vadai fritters in batches, 15-20 at a time, so one can get them hot & crisp from the deep-fryer.

Rosie’s vadai batter consisted of urad dhal (black gram lentils), soaked for 4 hours then ground into a paste with a bit of water, combined with minced ginger, chopped onions, green chilis, asafoetida and curry leaves. Here, Rosie shapes her vadai dough into little round patties, then poking a hole in it before sliding the patty into hot oil.

The vadais are deep-fried in hot oil till golden-brown and crisp on the outside.

A golden-brown vadai, which is crisp on the outside. It is also called medu vadai or ulunthu vadai.

Rosie’s vadai is the lightest, crispiest rendition I’d had - it shatters at the lightest touch to reveal a fluffy, spongey and slightly moist interior.

Rosie’s Vadai stall at Lintang Pasar operates from 2pm to 7.30pm daily.

5 Likes

Cooking the vadai:

3 Likes

I just watched a Master at her craft. Wonderful.

1 Like