[Penang, Malaysia] Lunch at Bhai Biryani, King Street

Lunch yesterday at ๐—•๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ถ ๐—•๐—ถ๐—ฟ๐˜†๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ถ on King Street. The relatively new Penang outpost of a popular KL eatery (the original is located in OUG Parklane, Kuala Lumpur) started operating in early-January this year.

Penangโ€™s Little India is pretty busy this time of the year, as the Deepavali, or Festival of Lights, approaches (it falls on 24 Oct this year). For the Indian diaspora in Penang, as with their brethren around the world, itโ€™s their biggest festival of the year. Pop-up shops selling all kinds of clothing, decoratives and Deepavalli-related paraphernalia add to the burst of colours and noise in the jam-packed Little India district.

Very good service here at Bhai Biryani, but one needs to go early as the restaurant gets pretty busy at peak meal-times, and one may need to wait quite a while for oneโ€™s food.

Our lunch spread today:
DSC06496

:small_orange_diamond: ๐™‹๐™–๐™ฃ๐™š๐™š๐™ง ๐™๐™ž๐™ ๐™ ๐™– - skewered and grilled pieces of spice-marinated paneer (Indian cheese), capsicum, onion and tomatoes.

:small_orange_diamond: ๐™‡๐™–๐™ข๐™— ๐˜ฟ๐™ช๐™ข ๐˜ฝ๐™ž๐™ง๐™ฎ๐™–๐™ฃ๐™ž - mutton chunks, marinated in aromatic spices, ginger, and shallots, then cooked with basmati rice in a sealed, heavy-bottomed โ€œdumโ€ pot.

:small_orange_diamond: ๐˜ฝ๐™ค๐™ฃ๐™š๐™ก๐™š๐™จ๐™จ ๐˜พ๐™๐™ž๐™˜๐™ ๐™š๐™ฃ ๐˜ฝ๐™ž๐™ง๐™ฎ๐™–๐™ฃ๐™ž - spiced, boneless chicken chunks, cooked atop basmati rice.

Dessert:
:small_orange_diamond: ๐™‚๐™ช๐™ก๐™–๐™— ๐™…๐™–๐™ข๐™ช๐™ฃ - spheres of syrup-soaked spongey milk pudding. I have a love-hate relationship with this dessert: I simply cannot stop eating these sinful little orbs where one can almost sense the fizz of oneโ€™s teeth enamel dissolving from the sugar syrup.

:small_orange_diamond: ๐™ˆ๐™–๐™จ๐™–๐™ก๐™– ๐™˜๐™๐™–๐™ž - one of the best spiced milk tea around: thick, milky-rich, sweet and aromatic.

The food is amazingly chili-spicy, but full of flavour.

Address
Bhai Biryani
119, Lebuh King (King Street), 10200 George Town, Penang, Malaysia
Tel: +6017-788 7243
Operating hours: 11am to 11pm daily

9 Likes

As always, a feast for both the eyes and the mind. Thank you, Peter!
I was thinking of one of the most memorable dishes I have ever had and I think it was served in Penang. It was a biryani dish, I believe, but the rice was covered with a pinkish red curry and served on a huge green leaf (banana?) that was just delicious. I was kind of non-plussed at first since they didnโ€™t give me spoons or forks so I tucked in with my hand and I ended up wearing a good bit of it, but it was phenomenal. I think it was at Dawood but I may be giving credit to the wrong place, because I think I had a red mutton curry there, not the pinkish red dish.
Sorry to ramble but every time I see one of your posts I think about how great the food was the last time I was in Penang, long, long ago. LOL!

3 Likes

Dawood was one of the classic eateries which dominated the Indian restaurant scene in Penang from the 50s, 60s through to the 70s. Its competitors included Ghani, Meerah and Hameediyah.

Only Hameediyah (Est. 1907) remained today, although its offerings have now turned to nasi kandar - the popular one-dish lunch plates which Malaysians from other states travel to Penang to eat.

You need to come back to Penang. Call me if you do.

Will do! I am in the process of selling my house and as soon as the deal settles I am taking off on a culinary tour of the world. Or at least the parts I am interested in. LOL!
First up it will be Ecuador, Peru and Bolivia for ceviche, chifa and saltenas. Then I have no idea which country comes next. But when I get close to Malaysia I will touch base with you!

3 Likes

Wow, that sounds amazing. The ultimate gastronaut.

Thatโ€™s cool! Look forward to seeing you then.

1 Like

Chai and gulab jamun are calling my name!

Lamb biryani looks on point, but chicken biryani looks like curry atop rice, I wonder why, unless itโ€™s expected? (Did you see the biryani thread?)

2 Likes

We certainly did not expect that - but I reckon they did it in order to offer customers a wide choice of โ€œtoppingsโ€.
Quite an unusual approach. A look at a part of their menu here:

A friend commented that the place is like a McBiryani. :joy:

2 Likes

This is interesting: โ€œlayered on top of biryaniโ€ โ€” is the local understanding / expectation that โ€œbiryaniโ€ is just the rice, and the type means that kind of meat curry on top of said rice? Very interesting.

I had biryani as 2 or 3 of my 5 meals on singapore airlines earlier this year, including what they called Nasi biryani, and it was all as I would have expected - meaning cooked/finished together, not curry over rice.

But now that I look at a NYT recipe for Nasi biryani, I see itโ€™s served as curry over biryani rice.

1 Like

Only at this place!

The other biryani places in town would cook/serve their biryani the usual way, i.e. cooking the meats with the rice.

1 Like