Paris - May 2022 Trip and Plans

I am not a light eater &, at over 220lbs (I feel better saying 100kilos), I have “capacity”. But, I have never been able to eat more than one substantial meal per day & can only recount a handful of times I’ve even tried. How is this done? I just dont understand.

1 Like

For me, I guess at the beginning of a trip, when one is fresh, one may be able to do 2 big meals a day (without breakfast), but it’s hard to appreciate them fully. And after days of eating, and going through the same rituals, plus indigestion because of certain overeaten meals, i would be happy to skip a meal and grab some smaller snacks or sandwiches or more simple stuff. A tip is to skip bread at bigger meals, but it’s a pity as they are usually better than in an average bakery.

3 Likes

Besides capacity, there is a definitely diminished appreciation, gusto, lust for the second large meal of the day. As they say, hunger or appetite is the best seasoning.

4 Likes

I would guess that after a lunch at Montée you’ll be able to eat a normal dinner. The food at Montée is exquisite, but the quantities are not excessive. You definitely get enough, but not too much.

1 Like

I couldn’t agree more. We stayed two weeks in Paris just recently and tried to eat everything we could - lunch and dinner as well as patisserie goodies. After three years away and pandemic months as well, it’s so easy to overdo. After the first week we got it. Salads or oysters for lunch and then a wonderful dinner. But what a sad lesson to learn - moderation- when the city has so much to offer.

2 Likes

Flew back to NYC yesterday. Was glad to sleep in my own bed, even though I had a blast.

Will be working on all my trip reports and should be able to get them all through over the weekend.

3 Likes

I often do only brunch/lunch and dinner while travelling. I also often make lunch the more substantial meal.

Both fairly substantial, and not more than 4 courses at dinner. I don’t enjoy multi-course meals that require me to be seated for more than 2 hours, so I usually avoid tasting menus. I like 3 or 4 course prix fixe.

1 Like

I am working on getting my trip written up, including all the restaurant reviews. It was an outstanding trip, and I am so glad I was able to make it. Already trying to plan another one.

2 Likes

First two posts up. Working on Day 1 and my Montee review now. I will post the Montee review here in full as well, but you can go visit my site directly as well. Subscribe! Hoping to have more from now on.

2 Likes

Montee is also on my upcoming Paris eating itinerary. Cannot wait to read your review! So far, MOST ENJOYABLE TO READ! Thank you!

1 Like

So Montee review is up in separate thread. I am going to be working on my day 2 which will include Les Petites Mains (the terrace restaurant at Palais Galliera) and Le Chardenoux. I anticipate posting that one tomorrow or Tuesday. Then will tackle Day 3 and the Pouliche write up. I did a catalog of how many posts I will have from this one write up, and it is 17 and counting. WHEW!

2 Likes

Day 2 is up. I have included my two meals on that day in the post, but am posting those reviews here separately.

2 Likes

Lovely write-up! So enjoyable to read! Thanks for posting!

2 Likes

I was starting on Day 3 today as well, and I realized I do not actually remember exactly what I had a Pouliche! I usually write or take some sort of notes, but if I did not have the menu from the restaurant, I was so involved in the meal, that I did not write anything down. So Pouliche will be a lot of pictures with some really fuzzy memories on what I had. I remember everything being amazingly well done, but that is about it. I did stay out after at a cocktail bar until they closed that night.

1 Like

Great reports. Both settings look divine. The bar is a great way to go when single, especially if it is mirrored. You get a slight advantage of being over the heads of most diners. And you likely will get a bit more attention from a good bartender.

1 Like

Clearly, you never visited Philadelphia! We speak four languages! English, Profanity, Sarcasm, Philly. We may have to release an untethered golden god on you, whose humor and wit know no bounds. Ben Franklin!

3 Likes

I’m with Penelope. And Melissa. I grew up in New England, not NY. Sarcasm not as prevalent there as in NY, but there’s plenty of it up and down the U.S. eastern seaboard.

In the midwest, and in much of California, not quite as much.

…but maybe that’s partly why I love France so much?? Nah, it’s the food… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I forgot to update everything in this thread as well. I have been adding my reviews to different restaurant threads, but I have made some progress. Doing this plus a real job that takes a ton of my time means that this, what I enjoy doing, writing about my trips and experiences, often takes a back seat. I have a massive backlog to get through.

Day 3 which includes Pouliche - https://www.mlleshetravels.com/single-post/2022-paris-trip-tracing-artists-haunts-in-montmartre-on-day-3

Day 4 - https://www.mlleshetravels.com/single-post/2022-paris-trip-from-the-middle-ages-to-baudelaire-on-day-4

Day 4 - Pantagruel review (posted in the Pantagruel thread) - https://www.mlleshetravels.com/single-post/mlle-she-travels-restaurant-review-pantagruel

Day 5 is almost done as is my review of Mosuke, which I had a glorious 3 hour lunch at on Day 5. So should be posting two posts this weekend (I need about 2-3 hours more working time on it).

Day 6 is a day in Champagne, which will be the Veuve Cliquot house and then a 4.5 hour (!!!) lunch at L’Assiette Champenoise. After that, I was done and just headed back to Paris early for a nap and a swim.

Day 7 is a museum exhibit, Lunch at Le Grand, and shopping along with a lovely stroll through the Tuleries Garden.

Day 8 is going to take some time. My friend Kate joined me, and that means that there was a TON to cover.

Day 9 is Montmartre, but mainly sitting at a cafe for hours on end drinking wine and watching people, which is, IMO, one of the best ways to experience Paris.

So, probably at least 4 in depth restaurant write ups will come out of that. MoSuke, L’Assiette Champenoise, Le Grand, and Le Servan.

After all that, I have stuff from London, Antwerp, Toledo, Madrid, and Stockholm. I am also going to start adding New York stuff. I figure tons of people like coming to New York, so should take advantage of the fact that I live here. Have a number of places I have been to multiple times to start with.

2 Likes

Thanks for returning to this. Most of us either write up where we’ve been in the next week or so or just move on, never getting back to the write ups. Much appreciated.

As for NYC – well, yeah - of course you should add your local meals. And it’s not just tourists visiting who would benefit. We all have a lot to gain from each other sharing experiences.

2 Likes

Thanks. I also had a severe case of writers block. Once I am in the December to April time frame, almost all my productivity goes to my day job. I plan trips, but actually sitting down and writing is not something I want to do when I am writing and reviewing all sorts of dull stuff from a work perspective. Makes it hard to get in the right frame of mind. Sigh.