[Paris/France] Bonjour Chowhounders

Good folks here, Duex. You won’t be sorry.

Happy to be here!

As have many, I had been MIA from CH because of Covid – my last trip to France was in 2019. While planning my France trip for this May (fingers crossed!!) I noticed that only a few of the regulars were posting. I assumed is was due to the lack of travel but maybe it’s a deeper problem.

I’m happy to hear that Parnassien and Onzieme are here. In addition to John Talbot (whose vast store of knowledge I can get from his blog), I’ve gotten great insights from Gman, Maribel, and RREMS.
This year’s France trip is to Brittany and Normandy (bookended by Paris as always) and I found info from them on CH (as recent as 2019). Maybe someone could reach out to them.

6 Likes

Someone told me that JT isn’t in Paris and may not be going back anytime soon. I wrote him an e-mail last week but haven’t heard back. I forgot about Robert Rems so I just wrote him an e-mail about what’s going on. We’ll see what happens. The other two I don’t know at all.
Meanwhile, welcome. And let us know how your May trip goes.

“[B]ookended by Paris as always” – ahhhh, yes – we regularly do the same. For us that makes for a lovely balance.

We finally snuck back in Oct 2021 (Paris-Bourgogne-Jura-Paris – highlights in Paris were returns to Alliance and Auberge Bressane – wholly different experiences, of course. (Le Kigawa, Pianovins, and Les Climats were also welcome and pleasant returns.)

We recently cancelled our Mar-April reservations, but now have returns booked later this year.
So yes indeed, “fingers crossed” for you, us – and for that matter, the world.

PS: I too would like to see other former CH posters, such as Dr. John and other names mentioned above, joining those that I already see on this thread. And I’ll add an entreaty to SFCarole.

5 Likes

Already importuned Carole.

1 Like

Yes, we went to Paris every year for a decade and got so much valuable advice from Parn, JT and many others. We haven’t been back since May 2019 and probably will not go again until 2023. Really happy to see all those experts migrating to HO. I was Macdog in the old days, named after my beloved wheaten terrier.

5 Likes

Welcome! Hope you’ll like it here. Macdog and Annegrace gives a completely different image!

1 Like

Thanks for taking this on!

3 Likes

Chowhound France was such an extraordinarily vibrant and constructive/useful/resourceful place! Keeping it alive is a worthwhile pursuit. Please, let’s do it!

aka mangeur

5 Likes

So happy to see so many familiar names here. I’ll certainly be checking in regularly. Thanks pilgrim for giving me the push. This will certainly make future Paris trips much more interesting!

7 Likes

Busk is here. Busk was on Chowhound from
The beginning. Busk sad….

5 Likes

Dis donc, c’est la merveilleuse Mme Mangeur ! And onz and Jake et al. I’m pleased.

5 Likes

Now if you could only get Parigi to come back!

6 Likes

Ha, yes I stopped using my pet’s names for message boards. Too sad when they are gone. I joined HO in 2015 and have used SF Bay Area off and on. I think the other board that sprung from CH dissatisfaction has a LA bend but haven’t gone on that for a long time even though I love LA’s food scene and live 90 miles away.

3 Likes

I’m really happy to see this board. I haven’t been to Paris since 2019. Planning to go back this year and I hope to find some new discoveries here.

3 Likes

Agreed. I am, and forever will be, thankful to the Chowhound France forum for having introduced us to true friends. If this board can continue to foster even a semblance of that, it would be lovely. I suspect most of us need an uplifting diversion/ reaffirmation of good things in life — especially in the face of the daunting challenges we face, and that we attempt to address, in our immediate and broader world.

7 Likes

Welcome CH’s! Looking forward to following you all!

Let me pose a question: what’s up with the sauce served with the steak frites at Relais de Venise/Entrecôte? It was why a friend from Besancon sent us there in the first place, and speculation about what’s in the sauce always made for lively discussion.

It used to be a vivid green but on my last visit it was a muted, muddy color, and the flavor was similarly muted. It would be sad if this is the new normal.

1 Like

HO is worlds less clunky than CH.

Just learned of the site and signed up, have missed the Paris forums and others and look forward to discussions again.

5 Likes

May l assume this is Parnassian, hope so and nice to see your words again.