Parchment Paper uses

I use parchment paper mainly to make paper lids when braising meats in the oven. Noticing that most of our hostesses in France use parchment paper to line baking pans when making tarts or quiches, I have started doing the same. Also, of course, cookie sheets or baking pans where removing baked goods might be a problem. I’ve even seen mention of putting it in the bottom of your Dutch oven or heavy pot when making 18hour bread.

It occurs to me that there are many uses for this labor saver that I haven’t considered. When do you reach for it?

1 Like

I use the whole sheet in the Staub braiser when baking bread. Put the dough on it when proving and to remove the bread from the pot I just lift the sheet.

To separate some foods.
En papillote
When photographing very soft and oozy cheeses I put them on parchment paper and when done I wrap the cheeses in it.

Just remember one more thing: I wrap a small piece of this paper around my camera’s external flash to reduce overblown light. Also, cover the light in the harshest spot when photographing food. Basically the same idea but for 2 different things.

7 Likes

When I’m working with tricky cookies that don’t come off the sheet easily, put it in the baklava pans too. When cooking something with a higher fat content will use it to keep the pans clean or cleaner. For some types of cakes, it’s essential to get them out in one piece. And indispensable for making say a cold strawberry soufflé. I’ve got some great pans for making mini bundt cakes as well as mini angel food or chiffon cakes. Both heavy Nordic Wear pans - despite trying everything haven’t been able to get them out of their pans intact. Maybe a couple. So I’m going to press some parchment in there next time, first spraying with Pam. Fingers crossed.

2 Likes

Bottoms don’t burn using parchment the way lining with tin foil can so if I want to control the bottom base of cooking or baking parchment is more forgiving.

2 Likes

Ah, yes! Totally forgot lining cake pans. A must.
Will be interested in hearing your experience molding it into odd shaped pans. Maybe make a circle first by folding a square multiple times and trimming, therefore giving it some “shape” beforehand? Like this: https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/04/how-to-make-a-parchment-paper-lid.html

I dunno. Please report back.

1 Like

Spritz the odd shaped pan with a touch of water and the parchment will stick to it, then trim as necessary.

3 Likes

Thank you and will do!

Be advised that Costco sells it in a two pack, but not sure they carry it all year. Approaching the holidays you can always find it. It’s a crap ton of parchment for a great price.

3 Likes

Meant to add that I add it to anything baked in a spring form pan. Helps with not only removal, but with seepage also.

1 Like

We bake meatloaf free-form 3 at a time on a parchment paper lined sheet pan. Clean-up is easy, good browning. We eat one and vacuum seal the other two & freeze for future meals. Also use it to seal the lid on my LeCreuset Dutch oven when doing long oven braises.

4 Likes

When I make pizza, I “build” it on a sheet of parchment paper, then slide a cookie sheet under the paper to transfer the pie from my counter to the baking stone in the oven. The paper just stays under the pizza the whole time. Makes it much easier to move from counter to oven and back to counter, and still allows for a crispy crust.

4 Likes

I learnt this from French Chef Alain Passard. Slice thinly carrots lengthwise (slightly thicker than mandolin ones), arrange them without overlapping in a non-stock pan, add some cumin, a knob of butter, add enough water to slightly cover the carrots. Put the parchment cover, cook until all the water evaporates, you will taste all the goodness of carrots, so simple but wonderful! Sprinkle some fleur de sel before serving.

3 Likes

cornets for piping small amounts

3 Likes

This is a keeper for pan-roasting carrots for the grandkids. Many thanks. Actually, will use it for real people too!

2 Likes

A big yes on this, we do that for pizza also - sooo much easier!

1 Like

And bread.

1 Like

Great! I use a technique something like this from Jacques Pepin. Better with the parchment paper I suspect.

1 Like

Cooking en papillote- fun trick is to use a stapler at the ends to be sure they stay shut well.
Grandma always just used parchment with some folding for sandwiches (as kids we would often bring a picnic lunch to the duck pond that wasn’t far off from her house) the unfolded parchment made a mini placemat of sorts!

3 Likes

At about 450F, parchment blackens and will no longer hold any weight, disintegrating if you try to lift whatever you’ve baked out of the pan. Just a caveat. I use a lot of parchment!

3 Likes

We know a guy who makes South African-style savory hand pies, which he sells frozen. We use parchment paper to line the baking sheet when we bake them (at 435F for 30 or so minutes); even when the filling bubbles out, the pies never stick.

2 Likes

Soufflé collars
Cupcake/muffin liners
Sandwich bags/wrapper
Frig drawer liners
Rolling compound butter

2 Likes