Panettone 2022 and onwards

I cracked into the stollen on Wednesday. :rofl:

1 Like

4 Likes
2 Likes

3 Likes

3 Likes

A few years ago, I tried a Gubana, which is sold by Centro Formaggio e Trattoria in Toronto

I finally opened the Panettone by Roy. This is a delicious baked good. Moist texture, addictive flavours. This panettone was filled with chocolate chips rather than candied fruit, orange zest and raisins. It didn’t have that floral fragrance that some Italian panettones have. It’s tasty, but it doesn’t taste like panettone to me.

I don’t know if I would spend the money on one again (over $100 vs $40-$50 for a good Italian import), but I would enjoy a slice again.
The air pockets are bigger than a Loison or Vergani panettone.

3 Likes

I’ve bought lots of panettone over the years, wanting to like them, but don’t like the dry, bready texture of them; what I keep looking for is a cakey texture. The only one that came close to what I’m looking for was one that had cream in it. Subsequent ones with cream were not as good.

That said, I think they would be good as a base for bread pudding.

1 Like

This Panettone from Roy was a $140 panettone. Very moist, like a lighter, flakier and moister-than-typical brioche, but I’d say it’s still closer to an enriched yeast bread than a cake.

Pandoro has more of a cake texture, to me.

I have used supermarket panettone in bread pudding. My friend uses it for French toast.

The $40 Loison panettones aren’t dry like the $15 supermarket panettones.

Thanks for this info; I’ve never had pandoro before. My favorite Italian deli should have both at reduced prices now, so I will try it now.

1 Like

:open_mouth:

2 Likes

I thought I took photos of my Roy panettone this year but apparently I didn’t. I got the classic orange one again (same as last year) but we wound up not opening it on Xmas morning because my brother made homemade cinn rolls instead. So I opened it a few days later, and we ate most of it fresh, then made french toast with the last bit. Delicious.

1 Like

140 CDN, right? It’s not that much in the US. More like $80 USD, shipped to the East Coast.

2 Likes

Panettone is like fruitcake . . . many varieties . . . many people who never ate any of them but just hate it . . .
good stuff is good stuff.
lousy stuff is lousy no matter what the box says . . .

Aug/Sep I make a pre-WW2 recipe fruitcake(s). mega-fruits/nuts/etc. it usually last until March - but this year we had multiple cousins as house guests - who ate prodigious quantities of Granny’s Christmas Cookies and the fruit cake . . . my grandmother always sent everyone home with a 3 gal metal tin of cookies . . . she was much loved by her grandchildren - and as demonstrated this year, , , she is now gone, but they still love her cookie recipes.

1 Like

Yep, $140 Cdn which is around $105 USD today. Or 97 Euros.

This was from an independent kitchen shop in Canada that was selling them.

It doesn’t sound so expensive when I convert it to USD!

1 Like

Saw this in Brooklyn in January.

1 Like

I just saw (yes, in February) some Roy panettones at my local independent markets, both chocolate and cherry-pistachio, presumably well past their prime but stil $59.99 (I’m in the Bay Area).

1 Like

They have long freshness dates - if they were baked close to Xmas they may well have been fine!

2 Likes

We really enjoyed this peach, chocolate and amaretto Colomba made by Galup, a bakery that has been around since 1922. I will try Galup panettone next Christmas.

1 Like